Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Convoy Formation Help  (Read 1107 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Convoy Formation Help
« on: 25 Nov 2010, 17:09:26 »
Hi everyone, I'm creating an apache mission. Their objective is to destroy a large enemy convoy, about 10 vehicles.

What I want to happen is these vehicles to stay on the road in a line formation, a certain distance apart and not spread all over the place like they usually do. Then when the convoy is activated they move to their location in line formation, one behind the other.

I always try this, but they always start deviating from the convoy all the time when I create them, how do I make them stay still and in formation?

Thanks..
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Convoy Formation Help
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2010, 17:22:33 »
Convoys are hell. This is a simple fact. :( So don't expect perfect results, or even somewhat-okay results. You'll be disappointed.

However, what I usually do to make it work as smoothly as possible is to make sure the truck drivers are all placed in order of rank. So the one leading the convoy might be a Colonel, the one following a Major etc. all the way down to private. That way, they all follow one another logically.

Also, I'm sure you meant COLUMN formation, not LINE formation - column is when they're all one after the other (in a column), line is when they're all next to each other (in a line). :) Safe Mode is also best, that way they'll stick to the road. I must say though, that hoping to get 10 vehicles to move down a road in a nice tidy convoy is pretty much doomed to failure unless you get phenomenally lucky. Maybe making them into two groups or something might make it easier?

Good luck, anyway!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2010, 17:41:52 »
******UPDATED*********
SCRIPT FOUND: Armaholic
Convoy Manager
Link/Source: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8389&highlight=CONVOY+SCRIPT
Makes all convoy vehicles be together

Yeah that could work, I could have groups of 4 vehicles and then 2 or something. Then I was thinking what if we use the dofollow command and the distance command to get the vehicles to do that?...

Yes convoys are a pain to deal with. And I will probably only get okay results, 4 are easy to handle more then that is difficult.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2010, 05:56:03 by NightJay0044 »
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline Mamba6

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2010, 05:09:09 »
FYI...

That's actually an addon. After parusing the readme, you can probably extract the FSM from the addon, and utilize just the FSM in your mission if you have already preplaced the convoy and waypoints...
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

Barbarians! - B/1/18