Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: VBS2 and FBX format for O2? version of O2 too old?  (Read 4088 times)

Offline IllustratorMD

• Members
VBS2 and FBX format for O2? version of O2 too old?
« on: 15 Apr 2010, 18:37:45 »
Hey everybody,

I am really new at this so, please pardon my ignorance in this post. I wasn't sure if this pertained more to Arma I or Arma II

So I started this new project with a company doing modeling in Oxygen 2 for VBS2 (virtual battle space 2) for a training mod. I think it uses Arma I or Arma II as the engine, i am not sure which yet.

I am really familiar with doing modeling and UV layouts with Maya, so i am trying to figure out how to bring my models from Maya 2008 into O2 for the game we are developing.

From what my Oxygen Manual is telling me, fbx is supposed to be the new big "universal" format that o2 will be using, but The version of O2 I have doesnt seem to know what the fbx files I am exporting from maya are. It also doesnt seem to have an import fbx file option. Do I have the wrong version, or am i just not using oxygen right? Is there a patch I need to install?

the O2 I have only seems to save them and open them as .p3d files. I can import obj files but the UV textures dont carry over.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: VBS2 and FBX format for O2? version of O2 too old?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2010, 19:06:57 »
Actually we do not deal with VBS1/2 related stuff here at OFPEC, we're concentrated on the entertainment side of the product line only. VBS owners will have access to the VBS forums somewhere where you should find all help you need.
I don't own either of the VBS products so I have no idea where that forums is though. :P

To my understanding the VBS tools are more developed versions, ArmA/Arma2 modding tools are so called Lite/PE versions so the VBS versions may support things that the A1/A2 tolls don't.

VBS2 uses a variation of ArmA1 engine so I'm moving this to the ArmA1 modding section, and because this has nothing to do with multiplayer editing  ;)
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2010, 19:12:02 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2010, 20:50:00 »
With VBS2 there should be an entire suite of tools for you.  The company you are working for should have access to them.  You should have a sales rep or contact with BIA that can help you.
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:47:30 »
For a start, if you are working commercially, you shouldn't be here asking questions.
And as started in the EULA's, the tools, sample models etc you may be using are NOT for commercial use.
BIS / BIA has commercial products and forums for this.

Sorry, but the commercial side of BIS and BIA products don't deserve the blood sweat and tears of us "for free" users.
The commercial side give us nothing, so its unreasonable to expect the reverse.
There has already been a history of legal action etc when so called "commerical" ventures steal "for free" content made by users.

Offline snYpir

• BIS Team
  • OFPEC Jedi Master
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2010, 00:03:03 »
Gnat, to respond to your point - the commercial side (I assume you are talking about Bohemia Interactive Simulations, the developer of the VBS series) has helped the community immensely, even though it is rarely acknowledged. Income from VBS has helped Bohemia to remain independent, and develop our technology in our own time. This has resulted in games with immense depth - such as the upcoming Operation Arrowhead - which in turn allows the community to flourish.

In addition, there has been no legal action taken against Bohemia Interactive by any community user, and allegations have been proven false (such as what happened recently with the Frenchpoint mod). Every model and script in the VBS series has been either developed from scratch or purchased and of course we have the evidence to back this up.

Finally, capability in VBS does make it across to our games for entertainment. Tracers, soldier dragging and thermal imaging in Arrowhead were all VBS capabilities that have been ported across for your use "for free", and this is a trend that will likely continue in future titles.

I don't understand why you would openly slam Bohemia - and allege misconduct - while at the same time administering a site that exists originally because of Bohemia?

(In the interest of full disclosure, please note that I run Bohemia Interactive Simulations)
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2010, 00:06:06 by snYpir »
Bohemia Interactive Simulations

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2010, 15:02:38 »
I don't understand why you would openly slam Bohemia - and allege misconduct
Sorry, you're not understanding. My mistake, not explaining effectively.
I am not slamming BI/BIS/BIA. I'm slamming the conduct of 2rd tier commercial or military on-sellers and/or technology licencees of the product.
THEY don't deserve the free products from our side of the community.
I truely hope that BI/BIS/BIA etc are not simply ignoring the situations because they can indirectly gain from community addon distribution outside the entertainment product arena.

there has been no legal action taken against Bohemia Interactive by any community user
No, I mean community user taking action (legal or otherwise) against a 2nd tier commercial or military user who have taken or stolen a community addon (modified or unmodified) and used it within another commercial product.
I don't necessarily mean "directly included within the for-sale package", I also mean where a "stand-alone" downloadable community addon has been deliberately indicated or advertised as a usable addition to the commercial / military product.

capability in VBS does make it across to our games for entertainment
Never doubted it, but glad to hear it. Thanks.