Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Making a grate using textures  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Absolution

• Members
Making a grate using textures
« on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:55:43 »
Or a chain link fence, a net whatever...

My understanding is that to make metal deck-grating (like you would see on a fire escape) one must make a simple rectangular object then paint on a texture that looks like the grate. Everything you want to be "see-through" should be black but when I do it everything that is colored black is... black.

How do I make it so I can see through my, otherwise, solid object.

---
And since its relevant to the topic here's another one:

Can I stack textures on top of each other? For example I have the hull of a ship that I have textured. Can I add in a window texture and paste it on top of the hull texture. Viola! Window on side of the ship.

How do I do this?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Making a grate using textures
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2010, 10:42:40 »
It shouldn't be black AFAIK, but Alpha channel, or, well...transparent. I don't know exactly how to do this in anything except Adobe Photoshop, so...

Basically the way to do it there though is to first cut out the picture you want retained (i.e. the chain links) using for instance the magic wand tool or whatever, and then to paste that picture into a new picture which is set to having a "Transparent Background" (you can pick that when creating a new picture). In Photoshop, the transparent areas have this kind of black-and-white-striped pattern on it, so that way you can see what has the appropriate alpha channel or whatever it's called.

Then just save it as .trg (Targa) and use TexView2 to convert it to .pac. That, at least, is the way I do it? There's probably a more clever or easier way to do it, but yes...

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2010, 21:20:41 »
Maybe this tutorial helps :dunno:
Creating an Alpha Channel
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Absolution

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:43:37 »
Well this was simply a misunderstanding on my part. I guess when I saw the Black background that was set as the Alpha Channel.

Thank you for answering and I apologize for asking such a beginner question; I know you guys have better things to do. I really appreciate it.

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:30:41 »
A default grate in ArmAII you can use is;
ca\structures\data\alpha\net\lavkaalfa_ca.paa