Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: RPG-like dialogs  (Read 2156 times)

Offline icewind.123

• Members
RPG-like dialogs
« on: 08 Mar 2010, 02:14:18 »
Hi,
I'm looking for a way to create a rpg-like dialog template script for ArmA2. I allready know of the existence of a Dialog script for OFP/ArmA1 (I remember it was converted for testing), however the script had some issues as e.g. questions could be repeated. Plus, the window was pretty small. I'm sorry, I really can't find it, I only remember seeing it at this page about 2 years ago.

I also remember some other RPG addons like Wolfrugs Inventory Addon, that was pretty cool too, did sb. see popping up plans of this to be ported over to ArmA2? I can't find it now in the ArmA section though, so I guess it's gone after the recent loss of data?

I also know of the BIS dialogs, but these are pretty unatmospheric imo, plus I  haven't seen alot of tutorials concerning the use of the BIS conversation dialogs... if you spot one, please light me to it  ;) .

Ah ok, found one: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=91875

So, my concept of this looks the following, like in RPGs like Kotor, NWN etc:

Large pics:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/3-b.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/2-b.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/1-b.jpg

Basic notes:
-Questions shouldn't pop up again
-The answers should be able to create and set global variables
-Would it be possible to interact with the dialog while a camera script is activated? Then it might be possible to automatically direct the camera to the character and take close/far shots

So uhm, what do you guys think?

- Should I stick with real RPGs?  :dunno:  
- Can a newbie to creating dialogs like me do it in his lifetime?
- Anyone interested in creating this dialog system too?

I think a rpg dialog system would enrich the ArmA experience and add new mission (and possibly mod) ideas.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2010, 03:14:49 by icewind.123 »

Offline Arkon

• Members
Re: RPG-like dialogs
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2010, 16:46:31 »
Hi icewind.123,

Interesting post.
I too have been thinking about RPG type missions and whether Arma would be a suitable vehicle. I think there would be enough interest from players. I have just about finished a mission myself but had to accept a compromise and try to build a very strong story line and also introduce enough choices for the player, a sort of half-way house. Originally I had hoped to use a dialogue based setup whereby the player would be presented with a number of options to choose from (he would just click on the box of his choosing) - a simple concept and yet at the same time a powerful one. I did not find anything suitable back then, but I have since seen missions that present the player with various options (like difficulty level etc) at the start of a mission. I guess from your pics that the selection would be made by pressing keys (1-4 eg.) not sure re programing keys though. I think this could also be done with the Action Menu.

This could add a whole new dimension to missions if these kind of methods could be adapted. I'm not that good at the programing side of things, but their are plenty of guys around who could help with taking the idea further.

Anyways, lets see if some more people show an interest and in the meantime I'll see what else I can dig up.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2010, 17:00:01 by Arkon »

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: RPG-like dialogs
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2010, 18:52:22 »
@Arkon

The BIS campaign already uses this in their built-in conversation system, which I'm sure you've seen if you've played Red Harvest. It's a fairly usable system, one that can be learned, and is happily integrated into the game. It, however, looks nothing like what icewind there showed. For that there is another system which was made for ArmA and which seems to have been lost in the recent server-explosion. Hm. Attached anyway, the SOW Dynamic Dialog system. It's very simple and SHOULD work as-such in Arma 2 as well (except, I guess, that the actual dialog parts might have changed and there needs to be some editing in the description.ext), although I haven't tested it. It however can easily be broken in a dynamic world such as Arma (one of the people in the conversation is killed for instance mid-discussion) and it's a bit complicated to set up - although I really don't know of any easier method either.

As to RUG Inventory, I've been messing around with it in Arma 2 and I think I've gotten it to work, but it's still as buggy as ever of course (and hard to use and ugly). I'd need an interface designer to help me make the damned thing prettier :D And then I'd basically also need to redesign it from the ground up to be more clear, harder to break, and so forth. Right now it's a monstrosity of tacked-on features and half-realized ideas, although there's really nothing else like it for the moment, sadly (since few seem to consider it a necessity).

But yes, I definitely think there's potential for this kind of thing. However for the moment I would suggest learning to use BIS' own conversation system for most easy dialog-based things (like, "Yes sir/No sir/Fuck you sir"). Here's a link to the devs talking about it: BIF

Yup!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"