Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Poll - Interest in Fighter Jet/Aircraft carrier missions  (Read 2421 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Hi all,

How is the general interest for those kinda missions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LtWvCKZoP8

Would that be fun to play, or is the Air-Sim not good enough for real fun?

Maybe a joint-op thing with air support and stuff.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2010, 22:47:23 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Re: Poll - Interest in Fighter Jet/Aircraft carrier missions
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2010, 08:39:49 »
This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2010, 19:10:20 »
Too bad  :dunno:

Which country?

I live in the liberal "pirate bay country" of Sweden and you can still watch it here  :whistle:
Doesn't mean I think it is OK to steal music, but not allowing even fragments in a non commercial youtube video tribute is  ???

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2010, 19:18:22 »
Odd, it's just the theme song from Top Gun. But perhaps since what he used actually also contains the audio from the opening of the movie, there's a bigger issue than just using only the track.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #4 on: 03 Mar 2010, 22:38:42 »
I doubt they can recognize the actual movie sound file, and this censorship is done only seconds after an upload.
Guess they have "bots" that detect that kind of stuff automatically.
When I play the video I get an ad for buying the soundtrack on iTunes  :dry:

Fair, and much better than censorship.

So, what about a mission along those lines?

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2010, 07:24:50 »
In my opinion, ARMA is made to be played with infantry slots, there are some other good simulations for fighters or tanks...
but... it can be nice to have these kind of missions in arma2!
Without the shitty 80's soundtrack, of course! ;)
By the way: nice video you made! :good:

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2010, 08:27:57 »
Without the shitty 80's soundtrack, of course!

??? :confused: :weeping:

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2010, 15:21:44 »
Can't see the video. How about describing the design?

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2010, 19:08:39 »
Far from done, but I was thinking player(s) starting as pilots on a carrier, use a plane each and take off. Possible with both the harrier and f35. Landing (auto hoover) possible as well, but really hard.

Mission: supporting ground units and/or defending the aircraft carrier from a major attack. Flying, landing, refueling, fighting, shot down (maybe) etc.

I am basically interested in hearing if you think the air-sim is good enough in armA2 for a mission based on flying, or is it only fun as a coop where some players are pilots but most players are ground units. Kinda big joint-op?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2010, 19:59:09 »
Those crazy Russians created an awesome single-player campaign for their MiGs back in ArmA which was...well, awesome. Considering I can't fly worth shit and generally kept crashing but STILL persisted in playing it does say something about the quality of the campaign in question. If only I could remember its name...ah well.

Anyway, YES, of course! With a good storyline and clever use of game elements, there's absolutely NO reason why such a campaign wouldn't be very well received. Please, go for it. Of course I'm talking from a SP POV - but I'm sure it'd be fun in MP as well :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2010, 19:32:30 »
I don't care for air wars myself. I get frustrated from my lack of skills and the AI's never failing skill. It pisses me off. I'm actually testing a mission designed by Hailstorm in Arma where the player is tasked with taking out a convoy(urals only...all other vehicles are not required) that gives the player a choice to do necessary or excessive damage all the while dodging tons of AA fire. He then has to recon a nearby island and check on a specops group(provides a breather), he then has to guard that island while the specops wait for medevac, where then the player must intercept some incoming helos. After that, the player must intercept some boats approaching the island.

Through it all, the specops can defend themselves so it gives the player room for error(what the player misses, the specops finish off) That removes the frustration. Of course there are still perils...getting to close to the mainland places your fighter in the range of merciless AA and if you rise above a certain altitude before you enter the area of operation radar picks you up and bogies respond to you.

If the player has to bail, he can still complete the mission by making it to a safe zone and calling for evac.

If the mission is designed so that it is winnable even if the player sucks, more folks will play it.