Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hide the players position on the map  (Read 1597 times)

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
Hide the players position on the map
« on: 08 Feb 2010, 14:24:01 »
How do i make it so that the player cannot see his position on the map in my mission no matter what difficulty is set?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Hide the players position on the map
« Reply #1 on: 08 Feb 2010, 14:52:05 »
AFAIK, this is not possible. It's hard-coded into the game. The one solution I could imagine would be to create an addon that removes the icons used to display the player/other units, but...that's a little extreme  :blink:

Alternatively, use something like cadetMode to determine that the player is playing at a lower difficulty level, and add a black screen + message saying something like "THIS MISSION SHOULD REALLY BE PLAYED WITHOUT THE MAP ICONS YOU KNOW". Mind that some people, like Zipper5, prefer to play at a lower difficulty setting that has been modified to be identical to a harder one so that they can access the multiple-saves function (for beta-testing), so this isn't exactly fool-proof either.

Finally, you could simply -remove- the map (removeWeapon "ItemGPS" and "ItemMap" + possibly showMap false), and then add a picture of the area of operations and put it into a dialog of some kind that the player can look at. I think ShackTactical did this at some point. This of course would be a lot of work.

I suggest simply trusting your players to do as you say - I've never used the little icons myself, so I don't really know how much of a problem they are.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Re: Hide the players position on the map
« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2010, 08:46:09 »
Another approach is to catch the player pressing the map key and replace the map with your own
custom map definition.

I think this should not have any bad side effects.  :whistle: