Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: CARV Initiative  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Synide

• Members
CARV Initiative
« on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:00:18 »
Hi,

As there's no sorta General Discussion forum I thought this was the most appropriate board. Move it if you like.

This thread is aimed at a broad discussion regarding the future of addon making on the Real Virtuality platform and how one could develop the infrastructure to manage, disseminate, authenticate & grow the "Community Addons for Real Virtuality" or CARV Initiative.

In recent threads in the BIF, namely New community venture announced - discussion and Q's CSS - Community sign server there has been some discussion around initiatives to substantiate the addons management space within the community.

I mentioned in the first linked thread some thoughts I had on the topic and was aked to substantiate a little.
So, in a very nasty and fast way I hacked up a bit of a document last night and a couple of graphics.

So, here are they are, to stimulate some discussion on topic.

The first is carv.pdf - An illustration with a few thoughts added on the interaction between & usage senarios of the entities in the framework.

The second is ui1.png which again is a nasty graphic sorta showing fictional data that would be display in the upper viewport slpit-screen of the CARV application.
Essentially, it's to indicate that the application shows the 'record' information retrieved for a .pbo that's sitting locally on your machine.
A similar format is in the bottom viewport but shows a filtered querying of the are published addons available from the 'swarm' via the CARV-Relational Database.

The third is ui2.png which shows a screen capture of the sort of look and feel of the record display within each of the 2 viewports in the application.

Have a browse & read. Crit & Comment is a requirement. Be a little imaginative about filling in the blanks in the painting. Ask for clariying thoughts.

Some additional observations...

- Running a MP Server with Signature Checking Enable for CARV-Subscribing MP Servers would of course be required.

- A .bikey for each addon should be a requirement. The only valuable mechanism to substantiate this is by having a single source from which the .bikey is acquired. In most cases if you are going to distribue something you should goto the effort of distrubting the 'whole' rather than just a 'portion'. It faciltates robustness, future scalability and management.

- To require a single (or small number) real world organisation to provide the delivery mechanism for hosting all these addons etc. is too much of a imposition on any single entity. The medium for distribution needs to be torrenting technology. This then relieves the burden on bandwidth and distributes it across the seeders. Torrenting tech is only as good as the number of seeders.

- If you are going to run a CARV-Subscribing MP Server then you are going to allow certain addons to run on your Server or 'with' the blessing of your Server 'Signature Checking' Mechanism.

- If your Real World group of people is willing to endorse the usage of a given Addon then part of your responsibility to the entire community is supporting the distribution of that addon. As torrenting tech is only as good as the number of seeders then making the seeding of addons your Server is endorsing mandatory is necessary for the good of the whole community.

- With the CARV-Relational Database a critical part of the equation and it storing only information about the unique qualities of any given addon it's physical managability is more realistic. It's useful to the future organisation and growth of BIS's business would ultimately prove very rewarding to all concerned in my view.

- Current community content related 'News' & 'Content' hosting sites (eg. Armahohlic, plus others) may feel disinfranchised by the proposal. They can still be major contributors by substantially seeding the 'published' content.
They can re-brand the 'news' of the current status of any given addon by monitoring the activity in the CARV-Relational Database through the API which they can integrate into their webspace. They can still offer discussion, meeting etc. places for the content.

- Individuals, MP Server Admins & Publishers should all use exactly the same application to manage the content present on their computer.

- The UI needs to be simple and clean.
   It should show the current .pbo's on the box & their various status's.
   It should show the published .pbos that one can source through the CARV-Initiative. The acquisition of non-local published content (both singular addons and groups of addons) should be as simple as dragging from one portion of the UI to another and the application goes and sources this content from the torrent swarm. In theory this should be very fast (relatively speaking) as the swarm is mandatorally seeded for 'Endorsed' .pbo's and for non-endorsed .pbo's may not be as fast as probably only Dedi-Seeding Services such as Armaholic & most probably the publisher etc. maybe seeding them.

- The architecture is such that it still provides the flexibility for individuals and MP Servers to utilize any addons they desire and any combination of addons they desire.

Many more thoughts persist... let's brain storm...

Cheers, Sy.

PS. If this is an inappropriate place for this sort of discussion please say so an I'll shift it somewhere else.

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Re: CARV Initiative
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2009, 09:33:57 »
Good post and thanks for the initiative Sy.  :good:

For the start I want to add a few more points and repeat most of yours
in a more compressed built point fashion.

Involved people and parties:
  • Bohemia Interactive
  • Players
  • Addon designers
  • Download sites
  • News sites
  • Server admins
  • Signature provider
  • Key provider
  • System(s) provider(s)
  • System committee (to push, promote, over-watch, discuss the system)
  • More?

System = the tool or set of tools we are talking about here.  :)

Existing RV applications:
  • Yoma's Addon Sync (based on FTP, 7z and md5 hashes)
  • Sickboy's SIX Updater (based on rsync and md5 hashes)

Similar applications for other systems:

Possible technology:
  • Download: Torrent, Rsync
  • Packaging: 7z/Zip/RAR

Possible system components:
  • File upload
  • File download
  • Mirroring / seeding
  • Key/signature process
  • Sync with game server
  • Sync with an addon pack/set (defined set of files)
  • File rating system
  • File commenting system
  • File banning
  • File analysis (size, type, content inside pbo, quality)
  • File identification (unique referral)
  • A

File can be a pack/set of files.  :scratch:

WIP
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2009, 22:02:34 by kju »

Offline Synide

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2009, 20:07:32 »
hehe Q,

Oh noes, thought I'd gotten terms like stakeholders out of my life a decade ago ! :)
Your quite right though. To move forward effectively the initiative has to be analyzed and scoped 'properly' otherwise no one would 'buy into' it. I just wanted to get the thoughts out there to stimulate some responses over the Christmas break. I'll try and spend some time over the next few weeks doing a proper document (or maybe 2), although it's been a number of years and I'm very rusty at this some of thing so bare with me.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2009, 10:20:49 »
I thought this was the most appropriate board.
If/whether/when this initiative gets wind under it's wing it might concern OFPEC as well so that kinda gives this an "excuse" of being here  :D

One thing I would like to see something like this to have is functionality like Steam updater, or the updater thingy used by for example Far Cry 2.
Upon launching the game it would first contact the server and check whether there are new versions of the addons/mods you have "installed" and offer to update them if any available (maybe even show small "suggestions" on new content that has been upped since last check). This would of course be completely customisable, you could select whether to run that updater at all, select which addons/mods you want to be checked for updates, whether it would update the selected files automatically or ask if the should be updated, etc.. :dunno:
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 10:22:22 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.