Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: corupted groundtextures  (Read 4407 times)

Offline marcomio

• Members
corupted groundtextures
« on: 28 Jul 2009, 14:07:21 »
Hello to All!

I read several threads on other forums about getting rid of corrupted groundtextures, but didnt found any solution yet.

Description:

I am working on my 2048 x 2048 texture-replacements for the OFP-islands.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10769

The runway-replacement files all starting with their appropriate Lettercode (e. g. "rw..."), to give them the specific surface-behaviour as written in the CfgSurfaces-part of the config.bin.
The recommended re-applying of textures and replacing with other textures didnt work. they all look crippled. Please take a look at

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1883/crippledrwytextures2jpg.png

Also the recommended flattening of the island surface where the runway is located, didnt gave a positive result. By the way, the elevation never was touched while texturing - it is 32,2 default hight.
all around the runway-location. I found no other tiles or island parts, where this graphical issue appears. Somebody told me, it might depend on the "flagging". I dont know, what to do with flagging a texture..... I applied 2048 textures on other islands with runwaytextures and all went well. So can anyone help me out of this trouble? Malden without a runway isnt good......
Thanks for reading and in advance for giving some support (hopefully).

Regards

marcomio :)
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2009, 14:11:50 by marcomio »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: corupted groundtextures
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2009, 17:18:15 »
A few points spring to mind.

My memory tells me that the terrain grid on the OFP islands was 50m, so presumably your replacement textures are being applied to the same grid size.

Also the textures were .paa type, I assume your textures are also.

WrpEdit is able to edit OPRW wrp files unlike WrpTool which uses unbinarized 4WVR.
Presuming you are using WrpEdit, if you are using WrpTool this will not apply..........

Not absolutely sure on this, my memory is a little hazy, - on the Flags Tab in WrpEdit select the grid squares containing your runway and taxiway textures and mark them as roadway in the 'Value' section on the right hand of the window, after first checking the 'Expert mode' checkbox.
Like I said, I am not sure whether this step is necessary, but it can't hurt to try it.
I have a feeling it isn't necessary, but as I said if all else fails give it a go.

Planck
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2009, 17:23:45 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2009, 14:02:14 »
Thanks for support!

I tried to load the abel.wrp in wrpEdit (version 093 beta) but get the error message:

"Open world file....
Cannot load world: unknown file format"

Is it a problem with this new version of wrpEdit? I didnt found a location for downloading the old one.
Or may it depend of the former usage of wrp-tool, which perhaps could make it unreadable for wrpEdit? There is no BIS Island loadable in wrpEdit. Thanks again and regards

marcomio :confused:

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2009, 15:30:32 »
There only ever was one version of WrpEdit and it loads OPRW wrp files only, it cannot load 4WVR .wrp files as used by WrpTool.

I suspect you are using WrpTool and therefore your .wrp file will be in 4WVR format.
The only way to convert to OPRW is to binarize the .wrp file.

Documentation for WrpEdit if you need it:

here.

and

here.

Planck

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2009, 10:52:31 »
Thank you, Planck!

I think, I touched all the Islands with wrp-tool, so the default format disapeared. Now I hopfully can correct the runwaytexture-problem and release the new texturepack soon. I give notice, if it worked.
Is the wrp-edit in principle more recommendable than wrp-tool concerning some texture or surface-properties/values? Okay, I will see.

regards and thanks again

marcomio  :)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2009, 13:56:35 »
If there are still problems let me know and I could maybe see what I can do or at least find out what the problem might be by looking at the files myself.

Planck

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2009, 12:21:04 »
Hi, Planck.

Would be great, if you could take a look at this mess with the runways. I will upload the files to filefront and pass you a private notice, when they are ready for download. Seems, I cant cope with this stuff. Thank you for supporting.

Regards

marcomio

-------------------------------------
EDIT: Hello Planck. I have sent you the dl-links. Tks. again.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2009, 13:00:55 by marcomio »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2009, 12:23:32 »
After a quick look and finding the .wrp file was indeed 4WVR, so WrpTool is needed to load unless converted to ODOL.

Never mind, I looked at your textures for runway and taxiway.
Your runway is using .pac textures, convert them to .paa and I think they should work fine.

Your taxiway textures are already in .paa format and you stated that they work ok, so try that first.

Planck

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2009, 13:20:34 »
Hi Planck!

Thanks for looking at it so fast, but the crippled runwaytextures were paa-file format, when this corrupted display of runwaytextures occured. I only formatted them to pac for testing, if they are displayed correctly when using pac-format. But, as you see, they don't. I have no clue, when paa and pac format is both uncorrect, maybe the failure lies in the wrp-grid itself? Also the naming of the textures is in the lettercode of Malden-textures. I will try the resistance code next ("runpi...., rollpi.... and so on). Something I don't understand, is that only parts of the runway are displayed uncorrect. think of an older thread, where somebody have this distortion on beton-areas and don't found a solution for it (as far as Im informed).

I really think about reloading the default wrp-files and replacing the old BIS-textures with wrpEdit instead using wrp-tool. The other solution left is to make runways as p3d files (something, I wish I could, but not capable of yet). Okay, enough written. If you have other ideas, what can make this happen, I would be happy to hear from you. So have again many thanks for kind support.

Cheers,

marcomio :)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 02 Aug 2009, 14:29:26 »
Ok, I took a copy of abel into WrpEdit and changed the runway textures to use your ones, result is as attached.

EDIT: Ok I converted your .wrp to OPRW and loaded it into WrpEdit and it looks like the second attached picture.

Planck
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2009, 14:55:34 by Planck »

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 03 Aug 2009, 14:01:50 »
I can see, they are displayed correctly in world preview. Does it also working ingame OFP? So I resume, when using wrp-edit, those problems will not appear but when using wrp-tool, those things can happen. Is this right? How do you reformatted the wrp-file for use with wrpEdit? Can you send me the wrpEdit-usable version of Malden? So it could be released with correct texture displays. Proper credits for your great help with this project are sure.

Nogova didnt get in touch with wrp-tool yet, so it should be loadable in wrpEdit without Problems, I think. But if things should run worse, may I ask you again for help? This would be great.  :clap:

Regards and thanks alot for your work

marcomio

« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2009, 14:03:35 by marcomio »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 04 Aug 2009, 15:05:09 »
Aye well, I never thought about actually throwing it in-game, so I did, and the problem remains.

It seems to be just the one texture that is giving the problem though.

rw.paa

All the others seem to work just fine.
Will experiment some more.

EDIT:

I went back to a copy of the standard abel.wrp and put your runway textures on it, then tried that in-game, everything works fine, no problems.

Trying the same with the OPRW copy of your abel.wrp brings back the screwy textures on the runway again.
So it seems to be something on your .wrp file or maybe it just doesn't like the larger textures    :dunno:
PM me your msn or skype info, if you have them, so I can send you the OPRW copy of your .wrp for you to try.

Planck
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2009, 16:51:11 by Planck »

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 04 Aug 2009, 17:07:20 »
Thanks! You have incoming post.

Cheers

marcomio  :)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 04 Aug 2009, 18:26:00 »
Where exactly did you send the info too, I have received nothing so far.   :blink:

Planck

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 04 Aug 2009, 22:39:58 »
To your "mail to"  -adress.

Rgds :whistle:

Edit: I placed the "rw"-texture on the desert island (intro.wrp) without any display-problems ingame. Seems, that exactly the location of the old Malden runway has this problem. I think, when moving them one row to the left or right from default location on Malden, they will be displayed correctly. But then, there would be a (graphical) problem e. g. with the cwc- or other campaigns, which uses the airstrip for some missions. Surely, I could name some grasstextures to "Rw..." and have the concrete surface behaviour on  them, but I think, this would be also a loss of atmosphere, looking at a Jet taking off from a grass strip. So further  testing is the only solution before starting completely new with the retexturing taking wrpEdit instead of wrptool.

Regards

marcomio
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2009, 23:26:32 by marcomio »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #15 on: 04 Aug 2009, 23:36:49 »
As I said above, I took a fresh standard copy of abel.wrp and applied your runway textures to the runway area, then I tried it in-game and it works fine.

Its just your copy of abel.wrp that does not work.

Have received nothing from you at any of my email addresses btw.  :no:

Planck

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #16 on: 05 Aug 2009, 14:09:46 »
Hi!

Dont know, why it dont work, I got a confirmation of sending the mail to your ads.  :dunno:

So here again my temporary mailing ads: http://www.mr964@t-online.de

marcomio

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 05 Aug 2009, 14:13:49 »
Sorry, I cannot/will not use that link, it requires me to log on and this is not possible.

If you don't have a skype or msn messenger account maybe I should just attach it to this topic?

EDIT: File attached

Planck
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2009, 18:14:16 by Planck »

Offline marcomio

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 05 Aug 2009, 15:23:03 »
No problem, attach it to this topic.  :)

EDIT: Thanks for your help. Any results of testing will be reported.  :)
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2009, 16:15:27 by marcomio »