Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New form of subtitles  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
New form of subtitles
« on: 05 Jul 2009, 14:28:47 »
In the campaign, unlike in OFP and ArmA, titleTexts aren't used to display the subtitles of what people are saying. Instead, it's displayed in the radio messages. To me, it looks like it's using the channel that would be the Direct Channel in multiplayer. However, there are apparently no commands called directChat or directRadio and using the say command displays it in titleText form, not in this new way. So does anyone know how they did this? It actually looks a lot better than using the say or titleText commands like before. Thanks.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: New form of subtitles
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2009, 15:16:14 »
Not entirely sure what they used in the campaign, but a neat trick I found in A1 was to use a game-logic so you could write anything you wanted into the global channel:
Code: [Select]
_system = "Logic" createVehicleLocal [0, 0];
_system globalChat "Cheese on toast and fish on frogs..."
deleteVehicle _system;
You are limited to white text, but it does allow you to write whatever you like without a name prefixing what you are printing out (and it is very useful for system messages, that shouldn't just use player sideChat because that always confuses me).

[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
Re: New form of subtitles
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2009, 18:11:27 »
Looking at the de-pbo'd missions I can't really seem to figure out how they did it either. But clues are leading me to believe they do it with the use of FSMs, which I have no idea how to use. So perhaps I'll just have to stick to conventional methods, lol.