Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Music&Sound&Radio tutorial  (Read 22349 times)

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
Re:Music&Sound&Radio tutorial
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2002, 03:48:50 »
  :afro: wassup navy!  :thumbsup:

Like yer tutty-nutty, maybe a bit more nutty than tutty, though  ::) ;D ( ;) )

I've got a tiny detail to add/correct re. the size of .ogg's in OFP

=======================================
Also I have discovered that the most file size u can have is
3 megs maximum. But I have succeeded to have a file of 3.2 megs. Don't know why, but if u'll have files bigger then this
limit, don't start screaming and banging ur head on the table and checking files and stuff. Just simply try to avoid this
limit, alright, let's see what we have got here...
=======================================

I've been using music files at 4.3 MB and even more  :o :) so maybe it's just yer sound card  :P

SoundBlaster LIVE or so ?!  ::) ;D (j/k right)

Well, just thought I'd like to add this - we wouldn't wanna miss out a great song just because of
a misunderstanding  :) :-* yeah, that'll be it...

oh...  ::) one more thing: howsabout cutting down this tut to, say 50% of the text above  :o ;D

Som'n like :

--------------------

==========================================================================
How to add your own music of choise to your missions in OperationFlashpoint :

Music / Sound in OFP is either WAV or OGG - these are the supported file types; you can't use ".mp3" music files in OFP.

This is the ultra-short OFP-MUSIC TUT, so hang on tight now, and don't think - just ask ONE question....

How can I create my own .ogg files so that I can hear my favourite music in a mission, e.g. when I drive a car?

1. Download "dBPowerAMP Music Converter" HERE.
    This Music Converter simply allows you to convert files from, say your own audio CD track to a ".ogg" music file.
    Save the downloaded music converter by selecting the ( by yourself - ) pre created folder:

C: / Programs / "dBPowerAMP" <----THIS ONE

Once this is downloaded, grab one more thing (the ".ogg" converter plugin) which is avaliable HERE

In short:  Download and install the applications - first the converter, then the plugin (both are needed).

2.  Run the music convertor application. Select the file you want to convert and click the "open" button.

A small window appears indicating what format you want to convert the file to. If you installed the ".ogg codec" plugin
     correctly you will see the "OggVorbis" option. Select it and then a larger window appears that allows you to specify
     parameters for the destination as well as where you want to save the .ogg file.
     You need to use the following parameters in order for the .ogg file to work with OperationFlashpoint :

Set the conversion settings to:

stereo
   Bit rate 128kbps
   Encoding = "Constant Bitrate"
   Frequency = 44100hz

Now choose the folder where you want to save your file and click "convert", simple as that !!!

Then create a NEW folder in the mission folder you're currently working on.
Say, you have a "Malden-island" mission called "assault", then it would be in a folder named :

OperationFlashpoint / Users / YourName / missions / "assault.Eden" <----THIS is your mission folder (Eden is = Malden)

Create a new folder in here and name the folder:  Music

this is where we're going to store our converted music files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, now we will create a "description.ext" file in notepad.

Create an empty file in notepad and type in this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
class CfgMusic
{
     tracks[]={ TMB_track_1 };   (Replace "TMB" with your own tag of course, heh...)

class TMB_track_1
     {
         name = "City of Angels";
         sound[] = {\music\TMB_track_1.ogg, db+0, 1.0};
     };
};
--------------------------------------

when defining a class like "CfgMusic" you simply define which tracks you have in your Music folder.
Now, lets' take a close look at the first class "TMB_track_1": here we define the new class for the song
which we specified in the "track" class (shown below) :
  {
      name = "City of Angels";
   };

this is the "name" that will be displayed in the F3\trigger\effects\"music" drop-down menu.

db+0 is the volume of the sound. If you leave 0 then it will play at the volume you have specified in the game options.

The 1.0 is the pitch adjustment option of the music file.

Now save this NotePad file: Select *All files* and name it "description.ext" (without the quote marks) and save to :

OperationFlashpoint / Users / YourName / missions / assault.Eden  (your mission folder, remember?!)

Yeah, thats it. Now you can select the "City of Angels" track from any trigger's "Music" menu in the mission.

----------------------------------------------------

PS. this was just the music part of the TUT  :)

yanno... ease up the reading for ppl and stuff like that  :-*
(well, just a suggestion...prolly not bug free but wtf.)

CYA  :cheers:

Navy_Seals

« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2002, 14:59:28 »
Hey Tombs, thanks for the input and yeah a agree, u can have a bigger file than 3 megs, probably my old computer was screwy, ima change it, thanks.
And about the tut being long, well the truth is, everyone was complaining back those days when we still had old ofpec, saying that the tuts aint detailed, always something's missing, bla bla bla u get the picture, so this is like completly for newbs who dont know how anything works and stuff like that, but hey  ::) :P if u want to write ur own, go ahead...  :D
Well thanks again for the support and good to see ya d00de  :afro: :beat: :thumbsup:

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2002, 16:00:36 »
neah man, don't wanna make a sound tut  :P ::) ;D

I just copy/pasted yer stuff and removed the "NOT" parts, so to speak  :afro: ;D

nevermind 'bout it, m8  :-*
(execpt from the file length issue, thats important)

CYA  :cheers:

Shashman

« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2002, 17:43:22 »
 :hmm:Hey,Tomb: I think the tut's really well made,it's exactly what I want from a tutorial,it's well detailed and clear..don't really get yer argument..hehe..Cos some ppl can't be as*ed to read it should be shorter? :-\lol
But anyway,Navy,I don't get any error messages,the music just DOESN'T appear in the music part of the trigger's effects menu...I REALLY don't understand what the prob still is..I mean I've followed like 4 different sound tuts and I've had preobs with each one...Some of them I get a message saying "Music not found" when the trigger's activated,and the others,well I get the same prob as with yours,i.e the music just isn't in the trigger's effects menu.. :-\ ???hmmmm

:help: :hmm:

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #19 on: 23 Nov 2002, 13:18:51 »

Quote :

...don't really get yer argument..hehe..
Cos some ppl can't be as*ed to read it should be shorter? ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nope!  ::) my argument was this simple thing :

everything TUT'like should be made with ALL kind of ppl in mind;
the goofyheads, the philosophers and those who can't read (english) very well.  :-*

:) that's all, m8

navy's TUT has it all, except he has alotta 'talking' included  :P ;D
so his TUT becomes a bit long - not because of extended info

but because of....  :o WORDS  ;D

But hey - take it easy man, as I said up there; my real point in posting was to
comment & correct the issue about a music files length  ;) the rest is just babel  ::) 8)
navy's TUT is very good and especially for n00bs, so we should all give him
some good feedback - not for the sake of criticism but to feed him back!  :cheers:

PS. speak of feeding and additional info.
     I belive it's possible to convert DIRECTLY from a CD audio to .ogg
     so I'd recommend ppl to do this, as it is much faster than if you would
     convert an already (on your hard drive) existing music.wav/mp3 file  :)

it's the "DMC Audio Input.exe" by the way  :thumbsup:

right, that'll be it  :-*

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2002, 13:43:16 by Tomb »

1stJemHadar

« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2002, 23:03:57 »
Well, I was wondering. How do I play music from a script in a cut scene?
The score (Resistance track 1a) I wish to play is all ready in the game, it comes with OFP: RES.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #21 on: 26 Nov 2002, 23:26:13 »
Qu'apla!
     The code you need is:
Code: [Select]
PlayMusic "RTrack1a"or if you want to define the starting position of the track:
Code: [Select]
PlayMusic ["RTrack1a",30]will start the track 30 seconds in. change to whatever you like.

REMEMBER:Obediance brings Victory, And Victory is Life!
 ;D

=============
PsyWarrior
------------------
Qa'HoH!
=============

1stJemHadar

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2002, 20:15:33 »
Great!!  ;D
Thanks.

long distance snip

« Reply #23 on: 02 Dec 2002, 02:36:07 »
ok just to make sure im doing this right, can anyone walk me through the process of saving a .txt file to a .ext one?

Offline mcnorth

• Members
« Reply #24 on: 02 Dec 2002, 04:03:53 »
so have you done anything with the CfgSFX class? If so can you share with us what the parameters following - sound1[]={"mg.ogg" - and - empty[]= - in the following example?

I know it has something to do with delay, repeat and randomizing but I don't know HOW!

Thanks, its good to have a wiz or two out there.

class CfgSFX
{

sounds[]={"mg"};

class mg
   {
      sounds[]={"sound1"};
      name="mg";
      sound1[]={"mg.ogg",0.100000,1,0.500000,0,2,5};
      empty[]={"","","","",1,5,3};
   };
};

Scarface2002

« Reply #25 on: 05 Dec 2002, 01:19:58 »
Thanks for the tut, it's way cool to make your own "tour of duty" maps and get on a chopper with "paint it black"playing on the background.....

Back to scripting.....

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #26 on: 06 Dec 2002, 19:30:11 »
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVY

hey dude, how the hell are u? jeeze its been a while since i spoke to you mate...

how did the move to canada go? hope everythings is good with you and mate, yet again, this tute is great - really helpfull to both noobs and vets alike.

take care

:thumbsup:
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Navy_Seals

« Reply #27 on: 08 Dec 2002, 16:50:53 »
Whoooohoooo MEEEESSSSYYYY

How r u man, damn yeah its been a long time bud, glad to see ya  ;D I was told that u've gone forever, cos u had more important things to do bla bla bla..... Yeah canada is great, everything is cool so far, living well, found a part time job so have some cash  :P
Anyways, nice to see ya again old budy old pal, talk to u soon and take care d00de
Cheers :beat:

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2002, 21:11:02 »
lol, well kinda, i had to retire from staff duties since my time as suddenly become very tight... this is like the first time ive been on since september.

all is well and ive been playing around with the new NAM pack... so its all good fun.

nice to hear everything is well in canada matey, and i'll see u around.

Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

crow

« Reply #29 on: 16 Dec 2002, 09:47:43 »
I have a question and suggestion.  The question is does anyone know if there is a list of the voice files and what they say?  I have the list for 1985 but not Resistance.  Just in case I am not making any sense this is an example of what I am looking for.
Sergeant BERGHOF 00v06a Soldiers, it's time to see what you're made of!
The suggestion is to add this list to the tutorial for people to use these files.  It would help to keep the size of missions down a little.  Great tutorial gentlemen!!
 :cheers: