Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SPON components  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
SPON components
« on: 18 Jun 2009, 20:12:04 »
For those wondering what my plans for the SPON components in Arma 2 were, I am helping to develop a new "core" which sees several of the key frameworks from ArmA 1 coming together as the Community Base Addons.

Once this is established, I will be porting many of my components over to A2 using this system (so there won't be a SPON Core, as such, for A2). CBA will only be available as an addon (believe me, making SPON Core work as addon or mission-script has been a nightmare of compromises), but as far as I can, I'll make my sub-components available as both scripts or addons. Hopefully CBA itself will become ubiquitous, so this limitation shouldn't be as much of a problem as it might appear to be.

In case you hadn't tried already, no currently released SPON components (with perhaps the exception of individual scripts or functions, such as SPON Kits) will work in Arma 2.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2009, 05:07:30 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: SPON components
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2009, 03:40:23 »
The first step is complete.

Community Base Addons v0.1.0 released!

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2009, 19:13:41 »
I'm having an indefinite break from Arma and all levels of the community.

Regarding the SPON component system I made for A1, I give full permission for others to convert it to A2 or really do what they want with it within the bounds of the very open license, LGPL, I have already given it (just change the tag from SPON so it isn't attributed to me, of course!). I can't promise I won't return and want to work on SPON again, but no point in preventing others using it if I have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

Good luck with all your projects and I do hope that with time and the work for which our community has become famous, A2 becomes what we all hope it can be.

Offline Kremator

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2009, 19:35:42 »
It's a shame to see you go Spooner!

Take care mate in whatever you do.

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2009, 20:30:53 »
Wow Spooner.

Above all - thanks for all your contributions to the development!  Personally, whenever I search for information, yours is a name I always look for.  You've posted invaluable wisdom.

Good luck in wherever your path leads you.

:good:
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2009, 08:48:32 »
Have a good one mate, hope you enjoy whatever your doing, great work all these years.

cheers,
Romm

Offline Inkompetent

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2009, 09:12:26 »
Thanks for all the community efforts, and enjoy your time away from ArmA, Spooner! Hope to see you return some day in the future :)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2009, 20:02:42 »
Well, unlike a lot of people, I'd only been in the community for about 2 years. Felt like a lifetime though and really, I need to move entirely away from modding, I think.

To allay people's worries though, Sickboy is continuing to work hard on CBA, although now it will probably progress at a slower rate and perhaps in different directions. Put a lot of effort into it myself in the last couple of months, but ultimately, I'd stopped really enjoying the whole process of modding a long time ago, so thought it best to leave than continue any longer.

Offline Squelch

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2009, 22:44:55 »
Spooner, you will be missed mate. Your work is very appreciated, and I hope you find satisfaction in whatever you choose to do next.

Please don't go for too long, we need you  :)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2009, 19:07:30 »
As far as I'm aware, Vipermaul is the one trying to port the more "useful" SPON components over to CBA/A2. As far as I'm aware, he is only working on Recognise and Map. Chefd261 is also involved, to some level. Just telling people to save duplication of effort...

Good luck to you both!

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2009, 21:11:19 »
And I've already ported most of the functionality of SPON Kits (and more besides) into my Hmm... Kits for A2 :good:

Offline Fincuan

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2009, 21:18:36 »
Just telling people to save duplication of effort...

And you couldn't have posted this a week earlier?  :D

Even with the magic spacebar SPON_Rangefinder, SPON_Recognise and SPON_Crewnotify are excellent additions to A2.  :good:

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2009, 18:12:32 »
Not really, since I didn't know before then. Sorry if you wasted some time though...

Vipermaul can be considered to be the "official" porter, I think, so please coordinate with him rather than me if you want things converting (I don't think he wants to personally port everything, but I'm sure if people want stuff, something can be arranged between you all). SPON Kits is quite old and not much used, so I felt it was fine for James to take what he wanted from it rather than encouraging a direct port using SPON Kits. He was also trying to expand its features to make his own system, so I hope he does well with that. Actually, I'd guess that the standard SPON Kits would work in A2 without modification, but it is a very long time since I last looked at it (and I never actually tried it in A2), so I could be wrong.

Once again, good luck to all porters. The longer I stay out of modding, the happier I am about the decision, so don't expect me back.

Offline ViperMaul

• Members
    • Theatre Of War (Team PvP Campaign)
« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2009, 18:39:35 »
If anyone has done some work in A2 porting of any SPON components. I would like to coordinate your work and mine for the good of the community.

Please direct this and other issues / feature requests to

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/show/spon
and/or specifically to
http://dev-heaven.net/projects/spon/issues

Since College is starting again, I am going through a transition period. So movement will be in 1st gear (slow) for starters.

Thanks.
ViperMaul
Theatre of War (Co-Lead Dev)
ACE (Jr Project Manager)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2009, 22:12:42 »
Thanks mate! Although I'm no longer working on Arma on any level, it is still good to hear that my stuff is still popular enough for it to be worthwhile the bother to port it. Good luck to you and anyone else involved in the effort.

Don't worry too much about how fast you can port stuff; anything is, I'm sure, better than nothing or disorganised porting which was the likely alternative.