Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: need help with createunit/vehicle things  (Read 1304 times)

Offline shadowmantis23

• Members
need help with createunit/vehicle things
« on: 03 Jun 2009, 13:14:10 »
      Hello all, while browsing i found plenty of info to create a soldier. but that doesnt really help for the mission lines im trying to setup for some friends. basicaly its a blackhawk down kind of thing, i'm wanting the players to be driving around the city and set off a trigger that spawns a black hawk someplace then has it fly to a "crash" site and be destroyed, preferably with the players seeing the "rocket that hit it" but if not just have it go down and land at a pre-defined spot on the map.

but my problem is i cant get the create vehicle command to create the blackhawk with a pilot, so it falls out of the sky, also not sure how i would setup the rest of the encounter. i understand how to create .sqf files and call them, aswell as using units init fields and triggers/markers. any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance all.

Offline ProfTournesol

• Members
  • OFP Addict
Re: need help with createunit/vehicle things
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2009, 18:47:29 »
Create the chopper, create the pilot and put him as driver in the helo (name_of_pilot moveindriver name_of_helo).
OFP Napoleonic Mod leader - OFP WW1 Mod leader

Offline shadowmantis23

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2009, 01:25:57 »
thanks for the reply Prof, i'll give that a shot, also if an admin could please move this post, i just realized i used the wrong forum, this question was meant for Arma, sorry about that... also while i'm replying here what would the best way to set a waypoint for this chopper to fly to at a certain height then have it stop and "crash" in a certain area...

i've kinda figured out what i could do for the crash, the player will not see the chopper actually crash, it will be behind buildings, so i figured i would just have the chopper start to go down, then delete it and create another one in the position i wanted it to be downed.

does this sound about right to anyone else out there or am i doing that part wrong.

Offline firegraphite

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2009, 02:36:18 »
You could have the crash in a cutscene. I imagine the chopper flying slowly and then the pilot gets killed. The chopper eases down to a nice crash... if you could ever call that a nice crash.. LoL.

Well, i basically had that experience in OFP while transporting a squad in MP. I was pilot of a blackhawk and a shilka straight ahead hit me but the chopper's still intact. Everyone went screaming as the chopper went down... hahaha! I love MP games. But wasn't that the way it went with the movie black hawk down? I can't recall... anyways, you could try it. Also maybe some smoke script to go with the chopper as it goes down to give the impression of it being damaged.

Offline shadowmantis23

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2009, 04:33:04 »
wow sounds nice but i have ZERO knowledge with cutscene creation :) that would be a great idea just dont know how to execute that...

Offline firegraphite

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jun 2009, 04:58:39 »
Well... hehehe.. My knowledge of cutscene creation is very limited too.. I've read some tutorials but haven't been able to find time to try them out yet except for the basics. But here's probably how i'd do it:

Put the chopper in the game, put pilot in with moveindriver command(?) then set the flyinheight to a reasonable level.
Set a waypoint for the chopper to follow with the speed set to slow. Put a trigger that kills off the pilot along the way and maybe calls in a smoke script on the chopper.
Next put in a trigger that covers the area where the chopper is and to be set off by anybody present and toggle the camera in the effects menu. Voila! Preview and you have a cutscene showing a chopper flying in the air and later crashes down. Hehehe.

Well, its pretty crude and it's based on the OFP editor. I don't play ArmA1. Played it some but then decided OFP is still the game for me. Although I haven't played ArmA2 yet. But I heard ArmA and OFP editing are pretty much similar... So at least I hope I'd have given some starters or some clue as to how to go about with yuor mission.

Also check the tutorials in the editor's depot. You'd find plenty of excellent information there.
Happy editing!!