Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Looking for translation helpers  (Read 2214 times)

Offline 23-down

• Members
Looking for translation helpers
« on: 20 May 2009, 17:54:42 »
Hi people..

Soon ofp2 and Arma2 will be released so i thought it might be a nice idea if i release my missions and campaigns i created for ofp1 to the english community before really no one will play ofp1 anymore.  :)

Unfortunately i never worked with the stringtable in that matter. That means my missions are only in german language at present time.

Therefore i'm looking for some people which might be interested & willing to help me translating my german missions into good english and without spelling or grammar issues etc.

Is there anyone interested, or lets say is there actually one person here on the website that speaks and write both languages very good?

Note that my missions weren't noob missions they were created in high quality and allways with a thrilling story... My maps includes camscripts, scripts, dialog menus, briefings, weapon selections, randomly ai behaviour & much more.

If you want to know more about my missions then check our website out. Unfortunately only with google translation. But i can garantee you this. You guys woudn't regret it if someone would help me translating the maps. Write in here if someone is interested in helping me or if you have any questions or just want to comment this.

Help would be appreciated thanks.

Here's the link my name there is the same like here 23-down check out the campaigns & missions section.

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbs-team.net&sl=de&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

greetings 23-down
« Last Edit: 20 May 2009, 17:56:19 by 23-down »

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
Re: Looking for translation helpers
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2009, 07:36:49 »
Willkommen! :)

Let me guess: the texts are currently scattered across several files, right? If so it would probably be a good idea to add stringtable support first so 1) you don't end up with two versions of the mission and 2) all the texts are in one file.
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline 23-down

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2009, 11:03:33 »
Moin! :good:

Yep that's right the texts are in many different scripts.

I thought about it to add everything into stringtable files. I think that's no real option in here because my missions were so complex in many parts within the editor that the smallest modification could bring issues within the mission. I would change the texts which were created in the editor directly & only via the mission.sqm.

As for the 2 versions of the same mission this shoudn't be a problem for me and since our website is only in german it shoudn't be a problem for the english community.

I could add stringtable support for the single missions but not for the campaigns i just don't have the time to add that kind of support for my 37mission strong campaign for example.

Are you still interested in helping me ? I would send you all texts in a seperated .txt file in a good structure that it doesn't look confusing for you and you just need to change it into english.

Alternative i send you my translations allready in english and you just need to fix the grammar and spelling issues. But it might be more work for you in the end than when you change it yourself into english not sure.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2009, 11:20:41 by 23-down »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2009, 11:52:40 »
Just thought I'd swing by and mention that we usually do not allow recruiting on this board since this is for mission editing/scripting related questions. :cop:

We have a service available called Recruitment Lounge that was designed for these situations..  :)
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline 23-down

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2009, 20:51:26 »
 :yes:
Oh thanks i didn't knew about that.

Well i start the recruitment then.

greetings 23-down

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2009, 00:09:31 »
Let me translate what h- was really saying
Hi and  :welcome: to the forums have a good look around......
(then puts his cop hat away) and enjoy yourself. Have fun   :)  :yes:
Cheers schuler
« Last Edit: 22 May 2009, 00:12:28 by schuler »
Semper Fi

Offline 23-down

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2009, 14:48:53 »
Ok guys here are the first texts. Everyone interested can look through them.

Note: I allready translated them into english. All you need to do is to check if everything is allright.

When that is the case i will upload my first mission of many onto this website.

It's from my Vietnam mission one of my oldest maps back in 2001-2003.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag1h18c/n/texts_rar

I also uplodaded the mission.sqm feel free to look in there as well if you like.

Search for globalchat, groupchat, sidechat & hint.

Hope to get green light of you people soon. Thanks.

Greetings 23-down  :)

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2009, 18:07:35 »
(I did have a fuller answer written on Wednesday, but bloody Internet Explorer ate it. I'll try to remember the main points, but apologise if I put things somewhat briefly).

I have translated a couple of missions from Russian for my own use. The following is roughly what I have learned and how I work.

1. Make English the default language - put it first in the stringtable.
Code: (stringtable.csv) [Select]
Language,English,German
2. Similarly for briefings and overviews (overviews are less important in campaigns)
briefing.html      <--- in English
briefing.German.html <--- in German

3. The mission name can only be in ONE language - you cannot use your own stringtable.

4. Entries in the stringtable do not need quotes either side of them, unless they include commas. To make speech-marks appear, use them in pairs.
Code: [Select]
STR_S03r04,"YES SIR, WE'RE ON THE MOVE.","JAWOHL, SIR, WIR SIND UNTERWEGS."
STR_P6,"ZSU-23-4 (""Shilka"")","ZSU-23-4 (""Shilka"")"

(Edit: forgot about number 5)
5. You need to pbo the mission to make sure the stringtable will work fully. Depending on which folder you installed the mission in, you may not be able to access the stringtable contents when you re-load / retry. See Mikero's post for more details.

How I work
Use only a text editor such as Windows Notepad. Create the stringtable.csv file and keep it open. Open the file to work on and simply cut-and-paste the necessary lines into the stringtable. Then re-write the line appropriately to make use of the stringtable:
Code: (stringtable.csv) [Select]
Language,English,German

STR_Mkr1,Beerhall,Bierkeller
STR_SENSOR5,"Thunder and lightning!","Donner und Blitzen!"
STR_MITTEL,"How does one say Mittelschmerz?","Was ist das Wort fur Mittelschmerz?"
STR_INTRO,Knucklehead,Dummkopf

STR_S03,"My father is a firework!","Mein Vater ist ein Feuerwerk!"

Mission.sqm
class Markers
{
items=22;
class Item0
{
position[]={2083.668945,40.745003,249.969482};
name="zsupos1";
text="Bierkeller";
type="Destroy";
};
    becomes
text="@STR_Mkr1";
class Sensors
{
items=18;
class Item0
{
position[]={11647.478516,238.348633,11746.619141};
a=500.000000;
b=500.000000;
activationBy="GUER";
activationType="EAST D";
age="UNKNOWN";
class Effects
{
titleType="TEXT";
title="Donner und Blitzen!";
};
synchronizations[]={0};
};
    becomes
title="@STR_SENSOR5";

Scripts
aP sidechat "Was ist das Wort fur Mittelschmerz?"     becomes
aP sidechat localize "STR_MITTEL"
titletext ["Dummkopf","plain"]     becomes
titletext [localize "STR_INTRO","plain"]

Description.ext
class CfgRadio
{
sounds[] = {};

class S03r01
{
name = "S03r01";
sound[] = {"S03r01.ogg", db-40, 1.0};
title = "Mein Vater ist ein Feuerwerk!";
};
};
    becomes
title = $STR_S03;
« Last Edit: 24 May 2009, 00:52:44 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline 23-down

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2009, 05:48:11 »
Really i thank you very much for explaining how the stringtable and other stuff works!  :good: :yes: :)

And pitty thing with the Internet Explore i hate it when it crashs. Internet Explore is cursed.

But that isn't my problem because i know that allready. I just don't have the time to add multi language support of that kind to my missions. Instead i'm releasing english versions of the missions which i will host only on english sites like this one.

Still thanks again for explaining it. It's the good will that matters.  ;)

Has anyone read the text files yet? There Aren't many texts to read in the .rar document. Please take a look. Like i said they're allready in english.

greetings 23-down  :)
« Last Edit: 23 May 2009, 05:50:51 by 23-down »

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2009, 07:04:55 »
Hi 23- down, airstrike_naplam fixed, all others changes I put a ( ; ) in front of your test and changed and added the proper text below. You didn't make too many mistakes!
One thing, after a (.) It's all ways a capital letter. Like so.  ;)  Also every time you use the (I) it is a capital letter too.
The briefing I just went ahead and changed, save backups and have a check done to see if I missed anything.
They can download this Zip and double check me.
Also when you add it to the beta testing forums members and staff and still inform you of mistakes in grammar.
Capturing the feel of the mission with help add to the grammar changes.
cheers, schuler
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2009, 17:26:19 by hoz »
Semper Fi

Offline 23-down

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2009, 15:22:54 »
Thank you. Adding the mission right now to the Beta section.