Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: No Execution Boundaries  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Rommel92

• Members
No Execution Boundaries
« on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:14:29 »
I've recently discovered ArmA has no limitations on its boundaries for execution.
This was discovered accidentally when trying out this (curiosity):
Code: [Select]
execVM format["%1",__FILE__]
Which worked wonderfully, now that would be all good, but the path for __FILE__ is: "D:\Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\ ... etc"

So then I wondered, can I execute scripts completely out of the way of anything related to the game, and proceeded to execute a script in my documents.
Code: [Select]
execvm "D:\Documents\test.sqf";
This completely shocked me as to the possibilities; especially in real time editing for missions; where you could patch missions or even change them via having a remote folder to the mission being played. For me at least, this enables a whole new kind of live debugging during missions; thought only previously capable on privately hosted servers.
Naturally these would only work server side, as the client cannot update the scripts from the server.

Does anyone know about this already? If so are their any restrictions or boundaries?

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
Re: No Execution Boundaries
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:20:23 »
There are restrictions:
This don't work in ArmA2 and 1.15.

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:26:29 »
I'll check it out in ArmA 1.15 now, but I have no doubt it won't work in ArmA 2.

edit: yeah righto didn't work. Still an interesting find for me atleast, seeing as we don't run 1.15 on the server anyway. Anyway if thats the case problem solved, question answered.  ::)
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 10:29:30 by Rommel92 »

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2009, 01:25:14 »
Extremely shocked that this works past OFP 1.00 (when I could cope with silly mistakes like this getting into the release!). Means any hacker could read any file on your PC with little effort and I'm frankly a bit agast!
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2009, 03:04:15 »
After realizing the editing opportunities, I saw these possibilities also; and was also quite frankly shocked.

#Edit: Don't quote the entire previous post you're replying to..    h-
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 13:44:06 by h- »

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:51:44 »
I guess it is only working for ArmA and only for 1.14.  :whistle: :D

Offline Deadfast

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:29:43 »
I can imagine this being pretty bad if we had the function to write to a file... :whistle: