Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Complete) [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-5 One Shot One Kill v0.999  (Read 9076 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Mission "1-5 One Shot One Kill" by Laggy.

Public 0.999 Beta version, should be final.

Unless some bug shows up or serious improvement suggestions, I concider this mission being ready for review.

Description: As part of a covert hit squad (disguised as the enemy and undercover) your mission is to plan and carry out the assassination of an important SLA general/politician during a speech in north Sahrani.

ArmA version: 1.14

Needed Addons: None.

Known bugs: None.

NOTE: This mission has been tested several times in MP.

JIP not concidered in editing.

Thanks to: Hoz for serious feedback, Nominesine, Manbane and Ironman for playtesting. All of you at the OFPEC forum.

Important changes in:

Version 0.999

Fixed a bug concerning setCaptive after assassination - Thanks Hoz
MI17 should now be more active after assassination.

Version 0.99

Fixed mission file name and version number.
Added some more guards around important positions.
Shortened the waiting time before assassination... again.
Changed the "firing while detected" eventhandler slightly.
One radio message changed, that didn't make sense if you had a perfect planning phase.
Other tiny stuff that probably no one will notice.

Version 0.95

-Added my FindBody.sqf so that you now need to hide any bodies that you kill during the planning phase, or hell can break loose.
-Any enemy or civilian that finds a body will yell "ALARM" and you'll be in trouble.
-Added an eventhandler "fired" on your players group that checks if you are firing while you are detected. Is so... setCaptive false.
-Added Kegetys Spectating script.
-Added parameters for viewDistance and fog.
-Players group now has NVgoggles, Binoculars and silenced Makarovs from the start.
-Added several custom radio messages to clearify situations and add atmosphere.
-Enemies now start patrolling the "sniper hills" if you blow your cover, which might force you to change sniper position.
-Shortened the length of wait before "target" arrives. Now only 8 minutes and with radio message at halftime.
-Added alarms and civilians fleeing from the scene of assassination.
-Smaller fixes and typo stuff.

Missiontype: Multiplayer COOP, but SP is possible.
Players: 1-5
Mission Time: Around 45 min
Island: Sahrani
Mission Version: 0.999 Beta, should be final
Intro: Yes (short in the beginning of the mission)
Parameters: Yes (Intro and viewDistance)
Time: Night and Day
Weather: Good

Missionwork: I worked hard on this and I hope it shows. I really made an effort to make it as realistic as possible in terms of AI behaviour, the mission complexity is advanced and I hope that shows too... in a good way. The more you play this mission in the way that you would act in real life the better for you, because the AI will not be as dumb as in most missions. I enabled some scary situations where the AI can suspect something is wrong and act accordingly. I wanted to create tension and suspense as well as carefull planning. The mission is quite random and varies every time, which should make it fun to re-play lots of times. If you don't work as a team, your chances are small. You'll experience atmosphere, tension, custom sounds, custom scripts, re-playability, and variation.

Hope you enjoy it. My wish is that I've created a fun mission.

Laggy

OFPEC Review
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 15:58:53 by hoz »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-5 One Shot One Kill
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:44:10 »

In the Lobby: The mission description is a bit  too long. Shorten it up a bit.

Briefing.. could have a pic on the main page. the one in this thread comes to mind.
I did see any spelling errors but there were a couple of places that needed spaces between words.

Intro..
Well done, I was captivated and interested, the timing with the music couldn't be better. Nice.

We only played this once, so it was a short run for us being the first time. We will definitely be back to play it more. We didn't last too long, it was a real struggle without any NV.

The one thing every body mentioned was that the seagul at night really sucks, maybe consider the spectating for the dead players.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2009, 05:45:58 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2009, 18:12:44 »
Thanks for the feedback,

Did you get in trouble with the Especas suspecting you?
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2009, 18:22:50 »
Since we only played it once, I cannot answer just yet. We'll be giving these new missions a shot likely tomorrow night.
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2009, 18:24:40 »
OK,

Don't forget to read NOTES, it has some important info.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-5 One Shot One Kill (BETA)
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2009, 05:37:43 »
Briefing.

under notes.. caution is extremely adviced ... should be advised..
The pic looked dark on my pc but on my friends it looked ok. Might want to lighten it up. For spelling, I didn't notice anything except some missing spaces between words.

[intro]
The choice of music is decent and the words get you pumped up but I found it boring after the first time, thank god for the skipping in the lobby!  :D

Mission
This mission has had different results each time we play it and we haven't gotten very far in it yet.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2009, 05:52:54 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2009, 18:00:54 »
Thanks alot for the feedback Hoz,

One of the things I allways think is hard to measure as mission designer is if the mission is too hard or too easy. Would love some comments on that. More playable units needed? NVgoggles? etc.

The "suspicious guards" questioning you and its various consequences is also an effect I worked hard on, would like to hear how it's experienced and how realistic/logical it seems. Does it add gameplay value? Is it "cool" to be disguised as especas, with the opportunity to wander around freely (if you are lucky)? I could just make the mission a straight forward infiltration and hiding by night, assassination and escape during day.

Another thing would be how you think the "daychange" is working, could it be improved?

Last I would appreciate if you could tell me if the mission is too "slow paced" or if something should be added?

Played it again with three more players last night and I have a few things I might want to change. Would like to hear your opinion first though.

Spectating script will definitely be in next release, Seagull at night DOES suck.

Thanks again,

Laggy
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2009, 18:21:13 by laggy »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2009, 18:38:29 »
One of the things I allways think is hard to measure as mission designer is if the mission is too hard or too easy. Would love some comments on that. More playable units needed? NVgoggles? etc.
A couple more of playable units would be nice. And definitely NVgoggles. even if they are included in the ammo box (first obj)

I don't think we got to the part of the night/day progression nor the part of talking to the civies. really we didn't last long past the first objective. as soon as someone died to the seagul we basically restarted. Just a couple times. We just need more time to play it through.
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2009, 18:46:23 »
Did you try to "act" normal, not shooting until shot at?

The idea is that you can walk around quite safe, until questioned by especas and not even then your cover is necessarily blown, IF you are "lucky".

Laggy

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2009, 19:01:40 »
hahah no we shot first and then asked questions later :) We'll give that ago next time.
Xbox Rocks

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2009, 04:56:21 »

We got well into the mission this time. Here were some things to note.

Mission
The length of time to the assassination is too long. We almost quit then we got the message he was coming in.  So you need to fill that void perhaps with some custom voices pending the generals arrival.  Also you should have more officials come up with the general to the podium. Excellent job on the civies gathering around. We found the ai in there fairly dumb though. we killed the general with a single head shot and got out of there.

I think an alarm should ring after the killing. Surely there should be some panic in the people as well to vacate the area.

The walk to the truck seemed long. I think you might want to have it on the other side of town, since most will plan to take the shot from the sniper 1 position and then head north to the pbx. this part all seemed pretty easy. consider some patrols in the hills around town.

Overall

The first part of the battle seemed very difficult where the next couple of objectives seemed fairly easy.
The voice overs and music choices are very good you did an excellent job here.
We died on the way to the pbx. Played for about 40 mins with two players.

Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2009, 13:42:37 »
Thanks a lot Hoz,

Mission will soon be updated with most of your ideas implemented.

Laggy

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #12 on: 02 Feb 2009, 07:28:07 »
I played this with 5 people today. It is fun and I knew not to engage enemy until I was engaged. I figured that out because we looked like them lol....

Intro:
The suspense was created well with the music and intro. However, I do not like the constant flashing when new text comes up. I believe there is a way to make text come up without it being considered a new title cut. I believe that is what you used as I have not un-pbo'd your mission.

Game Play:
I did get the "suspecting" message a lot and then had a bunch of guys following me around so I ran in a circle a couple of times, lapping some and then made me way into my sniper position. The time it took for the general to show up was way too long. Hoz pointed this out. I can understand you wanting to portray the "thrill of the hunt". But 10 minutes of nothingness and just keeping low gets boring in a game. As for life, not so boring hahaha.

Suggest shortening up the time table or adding sounds or people that speak at the podium before the general gets there.

I also like the fact that the truck spawns in 1 of 2 positions. That does add a lot of variety. It is a difference between a short/long haul to evac.

I never got to the point of having to use the truck because I got tired of waiting for the general. I thought you forgot about me hahaha...
TS3 IP: tor.zebgames.com:9992

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #13 on: 02 Feb 2009, 20:08:57 »
Cheers Ironman and thanks,

Nice that you got in trouble with the suspicious Especas. Any additional ideas on that?

Yeah... the 10 minute wait is too long. I will shorten it and also add some radio voices during it.
My plan was that the AI can suspect you and create problems also during the wait, but since that rarely happens I fully agree with you and Hoz.

The truck location varies between 3 spots.

Hope you try it again, when it's updated and then have the patience to "finish" the badguy.
The escape can be quite intense.

Laggy

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2009, 19:45:20 »
Mission updated.

Hope you try and enjoy  :D