Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Are there more objects available to editors than in cfgVehicles list?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
Hi all. I have looked through Planck's excellent cfgVehicles list here but I was wondering if there was a way we can get other objects somehow that appear in game within other objects.

I was looking for objects similar to OFP's "chairX" or "tablemap" objects or even the bunkbed or desks that appear in the army barracks in the ARMA game. Neither the editor list of objects nor the cfgVehicles list here has such objects but I was wondering if things like the barracks desk  were 'permanently' part of said building or if they were imported to the building by the game engine and placed in their default location?

The goal is to populate some empty buildings with a bit of furniture to act as cover. I have a way of accurately placing them in the room just need the object names (if they exist  :scratch: )

Anyone got any "secret-squirrel" way of making this happen?
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
These things are placed as proxies in a buildings p3d file, much like weapons are for soldier units.

buildings.pbo has within a folder called furniture, which contains most of these extra proxy objects used in buildings.
Unfortunately none of them have classes as they are not configured in any config files, I believe that 3rd party editorupdate utilities might have included them for use by editors though.

Planck
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2009, 04:56:43 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
ok. thanks.  :D

One more question then. Are editor updates considered "addons". For example, if I use the editor update to place "x" objects in my mission, will the mission then REQUIRE an addon?

I am trying to minimize the download "this/that" requirements players would ahve to do to play the mission.

Thanks in advance.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Editor updates are seen to be pretty much essential for good mission-making, and most of these addons are very small in size. The diversity they can lend to a mission is something players appreciate, much more than (for example) yet another model of an M16.

So aye, if you're going to use addons in the mission, an Editor update should be at the top of the list.  :good:

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
The SIX editor update is an addon, but it is not required by players (It effectively "unlocks" content that is already in the game but not available in the editor, rather than adding anything new). Thus, it can and should be used freely by any mission editor. The other editor updates have a lot more content, of course, but are required both by the editor and player of any mission that uses them.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2009, 19:10:46 by bedges »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
Thanks fellas!   :clap: I'll try the SIX editor update first.  At our server since OFP days, we try to make the missions the least painful to load for the players. But yeah I agree- once you toss in the idea of addons, any mission could have the sky as the limit! For now, though, unlocking content already built into ARMA is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
 :D

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
IIRC, the SIX update does not unlock items such as the tables and chairs, trash piles, etc. It only unlocks items defined in a class, by changing the scope of the item to public, or the value 2. Since chairs, tables, etc don't have a class defined, then they will not be available.

"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Indeed true, the SIX update contains only those models that are already configed by the game but not made available via the Mission Editor interface.

Of the other 2 editorupdates only Lowflys offering offers the furniture.
This update does not include the models, nor does it need to, it is only a collection of config files that config the models into classes and makes them available in the editor, the models themselves are accessed from the game where they live.
The file itself in PBO form is only 1,159KB.

Users of any mission that utilises this editorupdate need to have it present in their Addons folder in order to play that mission.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
Thanks for the clarification, gentlemen. As always OFPEC expertise is golden. :good: