Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Where should I build my story?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Where should I build my story?
« on: 29 Oct 2008, 17:05:17 »
I wrote a 3 campaign trilogy for OFP right about the time ARMA was released and began to build it in OFP but scrapped the build. I am currently undecided on wether or not I want to continue it in OFP, ARMA or ARMA2. Some feedback would help me see which direction to take it.

The story is comprised of gameplay from the perspective of different characters similar to the style utilized in the original campaigns and all are tied into together. The First campaign begins at the same time in History that the Resistance campaign takes place and carries out through the duration of the Cold War Crisis campaign. The second Campaign begins shortly after the death(or capture as some speculate) of Guba which occurs in the Cold War Crisis.
The third campaign follows the Second and concludes the trilogy. All 3 campaigns are written to coincide with real world events as well as the original campaign events according to actual timelined occurances at the end of the cold war and a few years beyond. All new characters that are intertwined with the old ones are to be introduced. A powerful twist that no one will expect until part ways through the final campaign that will factor in a scheme that was placed into play long before Guba ever reered his ugly face and ultimately involves a much larger scale of corruption than the original Campaign.

OFP Pros                             
Many objects, islands, scripts, and extra's. (The story was written with the original islands in mind as well as one other island which exists in 2 seperate variants, Summer and Winter, which are essential to the story immersion)

OFP Cons
The lack of interest by a deteriorating audience (I feel the depth of content is worthy of a full audience, not to sound arrogant or anything)

Arma Pros
Richer textures for better conveyance
A newer audience
more useful commands

Arma Cons
No civillian AI support, no large animation base to help convey the cinematics, not many civillian addons or objects, no Island fit for the build yet.

ARMA2 Pros
??
ARMA2 Cons
??
 What do you guys think?

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Re: Where should I build my story?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2008, 02:16:42 »
Sounds like a huge project to undertake, but if you feel passionate to do it by all means do. We need more campaigns around here.   :clap:  .

The good of OFP to ArmA, ArmA2
The good from moving it to ArmA is great, more audiences but not a lot of people are going to have OFP and ArmA to appreciate this ensemble.  The new enviourment will be really enjoyable for AmrA.  But all the regular OFP gamers will come to appreciate your campaign even if it was just made with OFP.  You may be suprised, I don't know if a lot of people can have ArmA and OFP both running at the same time.  So consider in the factor how many people have OFP and ArmA which you wont know obviously but you could consider.  Also old timers like us lol since 2001 will enjoy it too if it's made with OFP.  But I'm sure if you make it with ArmA we'll like it just the same there since know about the game.

The ConsThe thing is you may have to change your outline and layout to the campaigns if you try to decide to switch it to even ArmA2.  Afterall it's not the same islands and exact ways of doing things. 

So with the pros being more I think it's a good idea, just some thought so of the spur of the moment for you.  Good luck.

Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: Where should I build my story?
« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2008, 04:06:36 »
I think I am going to wait and see how Arma2 looks and feels. It already seems to posess more of the OFP feel by having deciduos areas and a variety of different AI including women. I can tell you that the campaign involved Malden, and Kodiak although the story is wrapped around Everon and Kolgajev as well. Kodiak had a summer and winter version which was one of the selling factors for me. Originally I wanted the islands from the FDF Mod but I didnt want to have to download that huge freaking mod along with the other addons that I needed to build a great mission. The addons with the islands were reaching near 700MB. Which is really huge but when you consider a 3 campaign trilogy with approximately 50 missions of fully connected story line and characters it does not seem so lofty. I enjoy making cinematics with lots of immersion which also increases the size of the file so if you consider that, whoah, Not sure anyone would want something that large.
I am determined to build my first mission in OFP and since my return to it, I am enjoying the archive of scripts and resources that I have attained throughout the years. Who knows, I may condense the story and attempt it in OFP anyways. We'll see.