Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Force unit speed?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Shadow.D. ^BOB^

• Members
Force unit speed?
« on: 10 Sep 2008, 21:53:55 »
Hey guys, just a question is there anyway to force a speed on a unit in any situation?  Basically  i have a mission where i want a reaction force to come to the rescue  :)    The problem is once the reaction force encounters enemy units they just ignore the waypoint speeds and go balls out.  I want to force the unit to maintain at "LIMITED" speed, all the way  just to save hassle of the convoy getting lost and falling to bits.  Is there anyway to achieve this?/

Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: Force unit speed?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2008, 00:23:17 »
setSpeedMode
Note that this will only work if the unit has no waypoints, otherwise waypoint speeds will override.
urp!

Offline nuxil

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2008, 04:15:28 »
Setting the Behaviour to careless in the waypoints might also help.

Offline Shadow.D. ^BOB^

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2008, 04:16:26 »
Cheers Peanut, i was aware of this and it works to a certain extent.  But the problem persists where as soon as the unit moving spots the enemy it ignores the SetSpeedMode init, and just goes full speed and the does stupid things like driving into buildings.  Ideally i need something that will force the unit to remain at the speed no matter what.  I'm kind of get the feeling this is something coded into the game and not possible.  Just hope im wrong  :D  As much as i love this game, surly after the problems OFP had with road movement, it would have been fixed lol.

Cheers for your input anyway dude, always appreciated.

Edit1:- Cheers Nuxil, although setting behaviour to careless has some funny effects on the ability of the units staying in formation lol, aswell as having the crew unbuttoned.  Which is quite dangerous to ones health, when rolling through built up streets :)  Again tho thx for the suggestion.  Its just the age old thing of AI just not doing what u want  :(  Guess i'm gonna have to start thinking of another way to extract.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 04:58:31 by Shadow.D. ^BOB^ »

Offline Sparticus76

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2008, 13:23:40 »
maybe the
Code: [Select]
unit LimitSpeed speed command? Although I understand it requires a high speed loop to work, maybe just use it for the lead vehicle in the convoy only while traveling through towns?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2008, 16:25:18 »
Perhaps more details would help us help you. How exactly are the units in question being controlled?
Two other options come to mind.
1) Turn the AI skill to a minimum so they do not detect enemy.
2)  _unit disableAI "AUTOTARGET"; _unit disableAI "TARGET";   for all the units OR _unit disableAI "MOVE"; for all the units.

The problem is that once units spot the enemy their default combat behaviour takes precedence. One of the two disableAI combinations might fix this.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 16:26:51 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Shadow.D. ^BOB^

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2008, 16:50:08 »
Ok i'll give u a little overview, im using the Avgani map (i know not the best road system anyway)  basically i have the players group defending a building around an ambush site, after a certain amount of time an M1A1 and stryker, are supposed to move through the town, stop infront of the defense building, load up then extract.  At the moment i have the M1A1 as group leader and the stryker in column compact behind.

I will try your suggestion now Peanut, cheers.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2008, 17:29:03 »
All controlled via WPs? Have you set the WPs combat mode:blue, speed:limited, and behaviour:safe?
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 17:32:53 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Shadow.D. ^BOB^

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2008, 18:53:16 »
yeah all by waypoint, and yes to the latter.  Just seems that convoys + buildings + enemy is a loosing battle, through a mixture of making each vehicle in the QRF have its own waypoints, and cutting off other possible routes with objects, i seem to be able to force the units to remain along the route i want, the speed is still an issue.  But at least they are reaching the pickup point then the extraction.

Cheers to everyone for their help.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2008, 18:57:02 »
Did disableAI have any effect?

And remember what I said in a previous post. You can not permanently override WP speed, combat mode or behaviour. Well, you might be able to do it in a fast looping script, but that is not a good solution. You might have to consider restructuring your mission a little. This is often the case when you run into AI problems.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 18:59:58 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Shadow.D. ^BOB^

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2008, 21:55:32 »
Yeah, i'm going to make it so that an extraction has to be done on foot, rather than relying on AI.  Let us just hope the AI system on ArmA 2 will, solve many issues.

Again thx for all the help.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2008, 01:08:20 »
I had a convoy mission in OFP, and had the convoy go around towns... I also used over one hundreds waypoints.
urp!