Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Player server v.s Dedi server trigger PublicVariable problem  (Read 1219 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Hi all,

In a MP mission I have a short trigger chain to make a MI17 take off and carry the players to an insertion point.
I have now been told that on a Dedicated server, the MI17 doesn't move away from the initial waypoint, it just starts and then hoovers in the air.
In the mission you can choose between two different routes, therefore the two radio triggers.

The solution for the MI17 insertion is:
Radio Alpha trigger, On Activation: helogonorth = true; PublicVariable "helogonorth"
Radio Bravo trigger, On Activation: helogosouth = true; PublicVariable "helogosouth"

Then:
One SWITCH trigger (synchronized with waypoint) has Condition: helogonorth
One SWITCH trigger (synchronized with waypoint) has Condition: helogosouth

Very simple and the history is this:
If I only had the radio triggers directly as SWITCHES, the MI17 would not move (just like betatesters now describe) on a Player server IF the group leader was also server. When I added the PublicVariable it worked fine, but now it doesn't work on a dedi server. Since the triggers are activated through a PublicVariable it should run on all computers and be activated regardless... right?

Do you sometimes need to make two versions of a mission to make it run on both player and dedi server?

I have no idea how to solve this ArmA riddle. Does anyone?

Laggy
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2008, 10:18:22 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: Player server v.s Dedi server trigger PublicVariable problem
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2008, 12:04:09 »
You should never need to make multiple versions of a mission, but making a single mission run in SP, hosted MP and dedicated MP can be very...painful :weeping:

The thing I am confused about is that global radio triggers (i.e. those placed in the editor) run on every machine anyway, regardless of who uses the radio, so the publicVariable should be entirely superfluous. I don't see why adding the publicVariable should make any difference to anything in this case, since running 'helogonorth = true' on every machine in a global trigger is the same as running 'helogonorth = true; PublicVariable "helogosouth"' on just one machine.

Sorry I can't give you more helpful response.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: Player server v.s Dedi server trigger PublicVariable problem
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2008, 18:50:42 »
Hi Spooner,

If you read this and are interested in some other "bugs" that to my knowledge has existed since OFP, please look up my new post in MP editing section: Group leader bugs in hosted MP?

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.