Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Respawn?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline B2KDragon

• Members
    • Dogs of War
Respawn?
« on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:17:31 »
I have no idea how to do respawn can anyone help me and can u plz make it easy to understand ty ???

Offline cptHook

• Members
Re: Respawn?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:27:05 »
HI THERE
what cant you do . ?
do you have Armaedit by CHsoftware that should give you all you need.
you can find on this site in tools i think

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:36:32 »
greetings,

from various posts about the same:

Q: How do I make units respawn in MP?

A:
The following was posted in the BIS forums by Skip_Moniker

1. Create a mission using the ArmA Editor. You may optionally use the MP Editor too, but it takes longer to open & saves go to a different folder.

2. Save your new mission as a 'User Mission' and name it whatever you like. Exit the game back to desktop.

3. Open a blank Notepad & insert 2 lines:
respawn=[RespawnType];
respawndelay=[DelayInSeconds];
Substitute your type of respawn and respawn time delay (in seconds)
Types are:

0 or "NONE" = No Respawn
      1 or "BIRD" = Respawn as a seagull
      2 or "INSTANT" = Respawn just where you died
      3 or "BASE" = Respawn at a basemarker
      4 or "GROUP" = respawn in your groups ai
      5 or "SIDE" = respawn in your sides ai

For example:
respawn=3;
respawndelay=4;

4. Close & name this new file 'Description.ext' & save as 'All file types' to the folder '/.../My Documents/ArmA/missions/[mission name]'. There should be a .sqm file there of the name you gave the mission. Note that if it gets saved as 'Description.ext.txt' rename it and remove the '.txt'. It then becomes a Windows unknown file type.

5. Start ArmA and return to the Editor. Load the mission you saved in step #2

6. Place a marker at the location you want players to respawn. You will have to name the marker one of the following:

respawn_west
      respawn_east
      respawn_guerrila
      respawn_civilian

For the people that didn't play ofp:

West = bluefor
      East = opfor
      guerrilla = Independent
      civilian = civilian

The rest of the marker details are up to you. If you make the marker a bigger size, like 100 by 100, you will respawn somewhere inside that area. You can also make multiple markers for the same side, nameing them respawn_east1, respawn_east2, etc. This will make a random respawn.
Additional info: You only need to create a marker if you selected a type 3 respawn. If you chose type 5, the respawn will occur wherever your squad or side is located (and only if a squad is created). Skip step 6 if using a type 5 respawn. *Note* You still must re-save and export the mission even if no changes are made in the Editor second time through. So, complete step 7 even if you skipped step 6.

7. Save the mission again but remember that the respawn doesn't work in preview mode. You have to now export it to
multiplayer to see the effects. If exporting to SP, remember that a SP mission must have one unit designated as "Player",
whereas a MP mission only needs one "Playable" unit.

8. Exit the editor and open the SP or MP mode (whichever you exported it to) and play the mission to test it

Thanks to the dozen or so users I plagerized to complete this step by step.

BIS forum topic
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 23:39:27 by loki72 »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 06 Aug 2008, 00:26:44 »
Alternatively you can download and read at leisure the 'Respawning Tutorial' from our Editors Depot.

Admittedly it is for OFP, but it hasn't changed in method much, if at all and so should be relevant for ArmA too.

Can be got Here.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline B2KDragon

• Members
    • Dogs of War
« Reply #4 on: 06 Aug 2008, 14:04:49 »
Thank u guys tht helped alot i should have a new mission ready soon on skakah thks  :good:

but now may i pls ask how u do vehicle respawn or is it the same
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2008, 14:21:12 by B2KDragon »

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #5 on: 06 Aug 2008, 16:47:19 »
In OFP vehicle respawn had to be scripted. However, according to the biki, you just have to add a marker to base for vehicle respawn (this is provided that you have base respawn).

Marker names:

respawn_vehicle_west
respawn_vehicle_east
respawn_vehicle_guerrila
respawn_vehicle_civilian

And same system as above when it comes to side etc.

Offline B2KDragon

• Members
    • Dogs of War
« Reply #6 on: 06 Aug 2008, 19:36:12 »
thks a bunch but also how do i spawn a specific object or player to a specific place  :scratch:

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #7 on: 06 Aug 2008, 20:00:32 »
That would have to be scripted...and unfortunatly I've just started scripting for ArmA, so I don't know all the new commands and changes from OFP (like the compile command...wtf? :D). So you'll just have to wait for someone else to write an example :confused: Besides, I'm way to tired to do anything :whistle:

Offline Crowey

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2008, 13:39:46 »
LOKI..... This isnt working for me will the respawn only work for playable players or should it work for ai too? the reason being is i want enemy ai to constantly respawn as to make the mission never run out of enemy....

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2008, 14:50:14 »
Well, AI won't respawn unless they are playable. You need to manually respawn non-playable AI, but creating a new one when the first one dies, via a script if you want that. There are also many scripts of this type floating around if you want to save some effort.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Crowey

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2008, 15:16:37 »
ok cool, anyone who would like to post the script and tell me how to use it, would be apreciated greatly....