Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "ALL" objects available without Editor Addon... are they?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Hi everyone.

I'm mostly making MP missions and try to avoid addons as much as possible for obvious reasons. My question is this:

Can I createVehicle ALL or MOST of the objects existing in the Editor addon without the addon itself, as long as I know the correct vehicle name?
If I want to create let's say a bathtub or a bottle (which are not listed in the normal objects list), can I do that, or are some vehicles/objects "locked", in the normal unofficial addon free ArmA?

I have looked in all vehiclename lists possible (Wiki and COMREF), but I haven't found any classnames for all the unique objects that are listed in the editor addon. Does anyone know?
Does anyone have a tip on such a "complete" classname list?
Is it possible?

Cheers

Laggy

And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
Re: "ALL" objects available without Editor Addon... are they?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2008, 19:31:30 »
You are able to place objects with wrong scope.
But the bottle is only a model and not a class and needs an addon.
For the scope take a look at SIX_editorupdate because they update the scope so you can place them like normal without being required for players.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2008, 21:23:31 »
Thanks i0n0s,

What does it actually mean... when I'm using this SIX_editorupdate "addon"?
Can I place "hidden" objects in a mission during editing and then that mission will not reqire any addons when it's played?

Laggy

And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2008, 23:31:55 »
This almost belongs in the Addons forum, but anyway:

What the SIX_EditorUpdate does is a simple config hack: it changes a single variable within the config of for instance most buildings (and their ruined counterparts), which makes them usable in the editor. This is the scope that i0n0s talks about (something like scope = 1 or whatever instead of scope = 0). Since these buildings are already configged with default ArmA, no addon dependencies are created and everyone's happy!

The reason I believe, btw, that BIS didn't allow buildings and such to be visible and usable in the editor by default is because once they're visible in the editor their names in-game also change to reflect that : so for instance instead of "All, go to, House, at 5 o'clock!" it now says something like "All, go to, dum_mezo_5, at 5 o'clock". Which is a little uglier than just "House" ;)

Anyway, any 'hidden' objects that SIX does not unlock will require an addon, since they're not configged. They just have a model. Imagine it like you're an addon maker, and you're given a model by a friend. You can put this model into a folder and .pbo it and put it inside your Addons folder, but the model won't show up in game until you've actually written the config for it. :)

Sadly, the ed.update that I know adds a lot of these (1.02 by someone or other) is a bit flawed, with really stupid naming conventions (all the "addons" are named stuff like AAAAAAAAAAA1), superfluosness (it adds the houses and ruins that can be unlocked with SIX_EU under its own class names, meaning if you have both addons loaded you'll have two sets of everything), a lot of extra, frankly mostly useless crap (like garbage dumps that can be inflamed, a "movable" version of the static weapons that doesn't seem to do anything...) and a bunch of random errors (certain objects have texture errors for instance and will tell you so when you try starting a mission with them). It's a good effort, but someone should really clean it up a bit..

On that subject, Mikero started a very nice little "family" of Editor Upgrades over in the Beta Testing area, but sadly he hasn't gotten as far as "all that extra stuff" yet. Maybe if someone pokes him about it he could continue to create the ultimate, non-cluttered Editor Upgrade :D

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2008, 23:45:03 »
Thanks for your detailed reply Wolfrug.

Much obliged.

Laggy