Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Getting data into ArmA? Sockets? Data stream? Help please...  (Read 1366 times)

Offline bloodlust026

• Members
Hey Guys,  :D

New player to ArmA here. Always been into war games but this is my first "serious" war game. Dont consider BF 'serious'. I'm an experienced modder so naturally I'd like to get into modding ArmA. I'd like to be able to stream external data into an ArmA script. Can this be done with sockets, or some other kind of data streaming? I've looked into the 'ArmA: DTST' but couldnt find a working version or much documentation on it. Anyone actually get that to work? Any information or advice would be great. Do ArmA scripts have access to the windows clipboard?

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
Re: Getting data into ArmA? Sockets? Data stream? Help please...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:02:46 »
Semper Fi

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:22:34 »
loadFile command and having something outside ArmA updating the file.

Offline bloodlust026

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:02:18 »
constantly reading and writing to a file on the hard disk scares me for fear of blue screen errors. id like to find a more reliable way. thank you for the replies though.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:48:46 »
DSTS 1.5 is still probably your best bet. You could have a simple process updating a file which you can read into the game, but that is infinitely more limiting than having even a basic database backend, as available from DSTS. You are also unable to write data, which is likely to be pretty useful. Maybe fine to allow you to get read access to some simple data like the real-world clock, say, but never going to be that useful, compared to what is possible (Making a truly persistent RPG game, like an Evo, but where you never lose rank or a Sahrani Life where you never lose money and equipment).

I did get it working in a small test, but then my clan downgraded to a non-dedicated server in order to save money, so I never got around to actually implementing anything useful with it.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline bloodlust026

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2008, 17:10:40 »
alright. i'll check out the database stuff with DSTS 1.5

do you know if DSTS 2.0 has been released? there havent been any updates on his website in a while.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2008, 18:50:43 »
Since I don't have access to a dedicated server any more, so can't use DSTS, I haven't bothered keeping up with its development for a few months. Good luck with getting it running and making a mission that really uses it to the full; it is a shame that no-one seems to have used it to its full potential yet.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline bloodlust026

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2008, 15:14:45 »
considering that is my only option to do what i want to right... i am going to focus my efforts on using it to the fullest.

I am still open to other suggests while I work on DSTS.