Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: radio use in mp  (Read 1227 times)

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
radio use in mp
« on: 06 Mar 2008, 13:50:50 »
hi
a noob question .. how do i limit the use of the radio to the group leader only .
have searched high and low looking for this and cant find an answer ..
many thanx in advance
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: radio use in mp
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:57:00 »
Here is the secret: Don't use the (global) radio in the editor in MP, since it can be used by anyone (unless you sync it with a group, but then anyone in that group can use it) and when used causes the trigger to fire on everyone's machine without any way to know who actually pressed the button.

Instead, use a script-created trigger, which then is triggered locally, so it is obvious who pressed the radio button. You could either only create the trigger for leaders (bad if the leader gets killed and no-one else can use it) or create it for everyone and ignore it if the local player isn't currently leader of his group. Remember that if the radio needs to have global effects, you'll have to manually communicate these effects in this case.

Radio triggers, made in the mission editor, work great in SP. This workaround only applies to MP and only when you need to know who actually pressed the radio button.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2008, 14:58:42 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Knight Trane

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2008, 07:56:08 »
I would like to put limited radio use in my MP mission too.  I want to give a radio to 2 Team leaders and 1 Squad leader.  Squad leader should have ability to call CAS, Arty, and Medivac.  TLs would be limited to small Arty and Resupply.

Is this delegation of responsibilities possible?

Or could a radioman be part of the group?

Would this require an addon?

I'll stop there, any guidence would be appreciated.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2008, 23:47:49 »
These limitations on who can use the radio are possible. See my previous post and examine the createTrigger command and its companion commands. I'm sure someone has already made something similar to this (there are a multitude of different support/artillery scripts floating about).

If you require the radio-man to have a physical radio object in order to use the radio (and that other people could pick up that radio and continue the job after his death), then I think that would require an addon. However, if you look, I'm sure you can find already existing radio addons for this very purpose.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)