Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: MP Briefings  (Read 3691 times)

Offline CharlieReddog

• Members
Re: MP Briefings
« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2008, 23:04:06 »
I see what you are getting at.

Unfortunately, the code above is not working properly at all now, I just managed to have two different sets of markers visible for my client and my friends client. Something somewhere is awry. I am going slowly mad with this. It *should* be simple, but I wonder if because I have other bits and pieces in there, it's more difficult to pick out what is wrong. Perhaps I should strip the mission down to bare essentials and start again.

Also, in the init.sqs of the mission, I addaction to two units (ie ours). We play the mission once, and I have the action, but my mate doesn't. We then die or restart the mission, and I now don't have the action?? it's like the mission is changing each time?

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2008, 00:59:25 »
It is difficult to say what is broken at this point. Your multiple scripts are complex enough that I can't see at a glance what is actually wrong. MP is difficult for everyone, so don't get disheartened. I must say, though, that you really need to get a strong theoretical understanding of how to manage MP things before you start scripting them, at least compared to SP scripting, because debugging when you are actually running an MP mission is so much more difficult (I'd personally recommend trying the debug logger in my SPON Core package to improve MP debugging; I wouldn't get anywhere without it ;P)

Actions are placed on objects and actions that you want to always be available are put on the player object. When you die, you respawn in a completely new player object that doesn't have the action. Just try finding your corpse and look at it to see that the corpse will actually give the action!

You need to detect when the player has died (use a killed handler), remove the action from the corpse, wait until the player object is alive again (proving that you have re-spawned), then you can re-apply the action. However, if you restart the mission and you aren't getting the action, then I'm not sure why that would be...
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline CharlieReddog

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 02 Apr 2008, 20:25:51 »
Right, I'm now thoroughly brassed off with the whole thing.

It works perfectly in preview. I set up a ded server via arma_server.exe and I get all the briefings, and yet I have a radio trigger designed to return the value of intType, and it returns it perfectly. Try using the trigger in SP, and I get our old friend scalar bool etc.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you can't do it. Its just not possible.

Offline CharlieReddog

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2008, 12:52:04 »
Well, I've not quite given up on this yet. I have created a very simple test mission, which appears to work both in SP and MP. However, that is hardcoding the variable I want to use inttype="2", that way I can use !isnil "inttype" to catch when it updates.

Fingers crossed it will now work in JIP.