Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Clientside addons in Multiplayer and crashes  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Nixer6

• Members
Clientside addons in Multiplayer and crashes
« on: 19 Feb 2008, 19:51:44 »
The server I play on has been having way too many crashes of late.

1. Can different users having different addons cause desynch leading to crashes.

2. Are sound mods, each user choosing his own a possible culprit?

Anyone having knowledge of clientside addons that cause problems when not installed on the server plaease let me know. I am aware of the XAM mod issues.

Thanks in advance.
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline Sick

• Members
    • Dev-Heaven.net
Re: Clientside addons in Multiplayer and crashes
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2008, 09:23:18 »
Any well setup config should be able to make these changes without problems:
  • Sounds
  • Models and Textures
  • EventHandlers
  • Effects (like MaddMatt's ArmAEffects, 6thSense.eu Tracers/CRDS/Blood)

Any badly setup config (linking wrong classes, etc) could result in problems in MP.

As soon as a mod changes certain values of characters, vehicles and weapons, problems could arise.

Basicly all client-side enhancements should be no problem. But as soon as a client introduces objects into the network that do not exist in addons on other's computers, then there's possibility of all kinds of problems.

Best would be to generate a list of keys that are allowed on your server, and only allow those keys (signatures)
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Addon_Signatures
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2008, 09:44:50 by Sick »

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2008, 21:44:29 »
Thanks for the reply.  :clap:

Basicly all client-side enhancements should be no problem. But as soon as a client introduces objects into the network that do not exist in addons on other's computers, then there's possibility of all kinds of problems.

Objects......like the new blocking objects in Durg's Veg fix perhaps?
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline Tajin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2008, 20:54:59 »
that fix should be clientside aswell, as far as I know.

Other reasons for those crashes might be serverside addons, or it may even be that those crashes occur because some kid doesn't like your server.

Anyway, from what I can say ArmA is pretty good at handling clientside stuff. You could even use an Addon-vehicle on a server that doesn't even have the addon and it won't crash. It really depends though as long as the addon is well done it shouldn't cause much trouble.
Some AddOns may be a bit messy though. (we all remember those servercrashes caused by XAM, don't we ?)  :confused: