Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Laser Guided Bombs - questions  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Urbanski

• Members
Laser Guided Bombs - questions
« on: 22 Jan 2008, 20:36:16 »
Hi All,

I'm new to ArmA but I owned OFP and used to create my own missions, some even wound up on this site  :)

I haven't done any editing for a few years so I'm very rusty and only remember the absolute basics.

In OFP I created a mission which ended with the player using the laser designator to target a vehicle then getting the A10 to drop an LGB on it. Im looking to do the same in ArmA.

Questions

1. Is this possible in ArmA? The mechanics of the editor seem the same but I've tried a few things and no luck.

2. The designator in ArmA looks different and when equipped the weapon description appears in the top left in red with a 0 next to it. Does this indicate ammo?

3. If so how do I equip the ammo, Ive tried addmagazine "laserDesignator" but no luck.

4. The OFP laser used to change reticule when the target was set, this doesn't happen with the ArmA laser - how does it work?

5. I'm using the AV-8B (GBU) harrier as this seems to be the only allied plane armed with LGBs, is this right?

I've done a search for this topic in the forums but all the posts were in reference to OFP, any help is appreciated.

Its good to be back  :good:

Looking forward to creating some cool missions

Thanks

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: Laser Guided Bombs - questions
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2008, 20:54:45 »
ArmA LD uses "Laserbatteries" as magazines: List of ArmA weapons and magazine classes

So you need the "Laserdesignator" added as weapon and "Laserbatteries" added as magazine.

Offline Urbanski

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2008, 22:35:16 »
Ahh thanks...its working now

Only problem is accuracy, the LGB misses the target 9 times out of 10 with the pilot skill up to maximum

I will continue testing.

nice one

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2008, 22:57:28 »
Try using flyinHeight command to make the launcher to fly higher, that might affect the accuracy.

Offline Killerwhale

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2008, 19:10:35 »
Hi, I have another question related to this topic, I am using another unit to laser target a BMP inside a hangar. this is the commands I am using
removeallweapons man
man addweapon"laserdesignator"
man addmagazine"laserbatteries"
man setbehaviour"careless"

#check
man dowatch tank
man selectweapon"laserdesignator"
goto"check"

Now the unit named "tank" in the script above is accually a barrel which is next to the hangar. The unit named "man" does look at "tank" with his laserdesignator but holsters the laser designator after 10 seconds. my question is, how can I make him continue without holstering.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2008, 19:53:34 »
mmm perhaps with a switchMove that keeps it in the desired position all the time.

Anyway, try this:
Code: [Select]
#check
man dowatch (getPos tank)
~5
goto"check"

or even
Code: [Select]
#check
man doTarget tank
~5
goto"check"

Offline Killerwhale

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 04 Feb 2008, 22:34:58 »
tried both with  no luck, keeps pulling and holstering the weapons
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2008, 23:15:10 by Killerwhale »

Offline Killerwhale

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 05 Feb 2008, 23:17:57 »
#check
man dowatch (getPos tank)
~5
goto"check"

with this code above, he holds the weapon a little longer than the other one.
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2008, 23:19:58 by Killerwhale »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #8 on: 05 Feb 2008, 23:34:48 »
This works fine with me...admittedly I didn't puit anythiong in a script file. but, used the init fields for units to achieve the desired effect.

The soldier continues to watch the tanks position.

However he only has the laserdesifnator and no other weapon.

EDIT:  I now gave him an m16a2 as well.
What he does now is......he slings his m16a2 and pulls out his laserdesignator and watches the bmp I have set ahead of him.......He does not stop watching it at any time.
I have not given him any instructions to watch the tank, he does it all by himself
The tank has the red dot on it as well.

EDIT2:  Adding a harrier into the equation and the tank is dead.

Planck
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2008, 23:44:58 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Killerwhale

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 05 Feb 2008, 23:50:15 »
but I told him to watch a barrel named"tank". the accuall tank is in a hangar so he cant target it because it's not visible to him ;but the barrel is sitting right next to the hangar and the purpose is to target the barrel with his laserdesignator, when the harrier drops the bomb, it will destroy the barrel, hangar and who ever is in it.

Offline Loyalguard

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb 2008, 11:40:29 »
Perhaps the problem is that the AI does not see a barrel as a potential threat so it won't pay it a lot of attention even if you tell it do.  You might be able to try one of the disableAI commands.  I think "TARGET" and "AUTOTARGET" might be a good starting points but "ANIM" and "MOVE" are also possibilities.  Each does something a little different that works differently in different situations.  So maybe try something like this (expanding on Mandoble's second suggestion:

#check
man doTarget tank
man disableAI "AUTOTARGET"
~5
goto"check"

You may not need a loop if you are using disableAI.  If you need him again later don't forget to use enableAI later as well.

Also check out this thread for other possible ideas:  AI won't use binoculars continously

EDIT: If all else fails, you might have success with creating a laser target with createVehicle at the position of "tank".  See this post for details:

I need a stolen Hind to pick up an American Laser (Post by Spooner).
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2008, 11:57:02 by Loyalguard »

Offline Killerwhale

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2008, 21:42:25 »
with map misc addon, problem solved :clap:........ but I come across another one, How do I force the bomber to fly in the Height I specefied, she starts diving when target is insight. How do you keep her in certain height and drop her bombs at the same time.

Offline Inkompetent

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 07 Feb 2008, 17:33:10 »
If he isn't to really "attack" the target per definition I think you will have to use createVehicle commands to spawn a bomb in the air and have it drop on the barrel/hangar/tank and just have the airplane fly in level over it.