Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ArmA RTS/RPG  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Dragon

• Members
ArmA RTS/RPG
« on: 15 Jan 2008, 15:18:47 »
I created a RPG and RTS combined style map, doing civilian jobs and military missions to make money for building a base, buying civilian vehicles at carshops and recruiting soldiers and vehicles from your Barracks and War Factory etc.
I populated the map by means of create and delete scripts and triggers to save performance. The RTS gameplay is much like Command & Conquer, building Barracks, War Factory, Helipad, Command Center for special abilities like radar sweeps and training your forces, base defences and many others. I haven't read through the forums or mods page so I do not know if anyone else created similar mods or missions, a few more experienced minds can improve this style of playing ArmA to new levels. The mission runs well and stable in singleplayer, multiplayer is still pretty much WIP. If anyone is interested in the mission, or developing it further, let me know by posting a reply. P.S you play as a SLA commander as many people (including myself) are TIRED of always playing as an American on most games.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: ArmA RTS/RPG
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2008, 15:48:04 »
Hello there, and welcome to OFPEC!

A working "RTS"-styled gameplay is something that many people have tried in many different places. There are plenty of MP-only games like that, known usually as "CTI"'s (Capture The Island), as an example the KPCTI. Another is Karillion's RTS IV, which likewise uses various elements from Real Time Strategy games, and is played entirely on Karillion's Bootcamp server.

As to the mission itself, you have two options (which can be combined, of course) here on the boards: One is to create a resource out of your system, and post it on the ArmA Editing/Scripting Resources Beta testing board, where it will be tested and evaluated entirely on the basis of the scripting, and perhaps eventually added to the Editors Depot. In this case, you don't need any "storyline" or briefings or whatever, just the editor-accessible mission with only the most necessary scripts etc., to showcase it.

Alternatively, you can post the mission in the ArmA Missions Beta Testing & Submission board, where it will be reviewed as a real mission. Your system will also of course be played, but the important thing here is perhaps more how it plays and how it works, what your objectives are and so forth.

Maybe for a start you could post it as a normal Mission, and then based on the comments from beta testers, you could turn it into a proper resource that can be submitted to the depot. :)

Carry on!

Wolfrug out.

"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Dragon

• Members
Re: ArmA RTS/RPG
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2008, 11:55:17 »
I will make the mission available as soon as possible (probably on Tuesday), unfortunately, I only have internet access on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 AM to 4 PM (CAT). It would be much appreciated if more experienced people than myself find an interest in developing this style of mission further.