Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New Missionmaker Help Request  (Read 1125 times)

Offline RAINF

• Members
New Missionmaker Help Request
« on: 07 Jan 2008, 03:02:28 »
Hi all,
I have had ArmA for a fair while now, and basically only fired up the editor in the past to throw in a bunch of men to gun down or throw around some basic waypoints to watch units clash, but now, i want to do more.

Maybe my first attempt at a mission is a little ambitious, but i am determined to get it to happen.

First of all, i have tried to search the forums for these answers, but failed, and now, an overview.

You start out just west of Bagango and have to sneak past the sentries and into the camp where the enemy has setup for the night.  Its simple, blow the Vulcan, kill the officer.
From here, the waypoint directs us to a getaway vehicle and then finally to a pickup zone.  The chopper gets shot down as it gets to the LZ, and you have to hold position for 15 mins for a second helo, where you are to defend against increasingly more difficult waves of enemy.

Now, my first problem is making the triggers for the enemy to be sent in waves.  I was thinking of using a {alive enemy_unit} so as i defeat each wave the next is sent, but more often than not, a soldier runs off and hides in a bush and i might not see another wave.  I was hoping to somehow put each wave on a timer started when our units become present at the LZ.

Next issue i have thought, would be what would stop the second helo from being shot down by the 'hidden' AA soldiers, would i be able to also, upon the destruction of the first Helo turn the soldiers off as such?

I am very new to this, and have no experience in scripting etc, but i am eager to learn

Thanks.

Doom RAINF.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: New Missionmaker Help Request
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2008, 11:13:27 »
Welcome to the editting world  :)

Lets say you have 3 enemy groups that you want to send in waves. Into the init field ofthe leader of the first group you write
Code: [Select]
grp1 = group thisSame for the other two leaders with grp2 and grp3.

Each group has an initial waypoint quite close to its initial position and each waypoint has a trigger with a synch line connected with the waypoint. For trigger connected to the first waypoint of grp1 you set the desired condition, for example: !alive officer1 && !alive vulcan1
The condition for the trigger of the second group would be
({alive _x} count units grp1) < 4The condition for the trigger of the third group would be
({alive _x} count units grp2) < 4
So, the second group will move to its next waypoint when grp1 has less than 4 units alive, and the same with grp2 or grp3 if you add it, and so on to create the waves.

Offline RAINF

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jan 2008, 01:44:54 »
Thanks for the reply, where it says ({alive _x} count units grp1) < 4, what = to X?  Am i naming a unit or do i just leave it as X.
Also, i have this condition !alive officer1 & !alive vulcan1 tied to my waypoint 'Eliminate Armor and Officer' so before i get the next waypoint i need to complete that, it works, however you wrote it with two "&&", does that make somthing different too?
Thankyou for helping me.  THis is all very interesting, but i'm loving it!

Edited by Mandoble: removing full quoted message.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2008, 01:55:19 by Mandoble »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jan 2008, 01:56:38 »
_x is part of the syntax for the count with condition command, leave _x as _x.
_x represents each member of the passed array, this case units grp1.
About &, the correct syntax is &&.

Offline RAINF

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jan 2008, 02:14:23 »
Thanks for that.  Now, With the Helo getting shot down part of the mission, i've been advised to give the 2nd Helo this in his init "this setcaptive true" so as for him to get shot down, but just to be sure i gave the two AA units that shoot it down 2 waypoints.
The first right next to their position with Hold, and Combat, with it Synched to (!alive Helo1) and the next waypoint, after condition of the trigger met, them moving away to the woods with Neverfire and Careless.

Im having trouble getting that to work too.  Any Idea's on that?

Im glad to have the Setcaptive True line, because at the end of the 15 minutes, im sure ill still have units engaging me, and i want it to be once loaded in the Helo, it to be GG. 

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jan 2008, 11:51:48 »
So you have two helos and two aa soldiers, and you want them to shot down only one of the helos. Well, first question, are both helos inside the targeting range of the aa soldiers at the same time? If you have already a way to ensure the destruction of first helo before the destruction of the second one, what you can do is remove the weapons of these aa soldiers as soon as first helo is down: removeAllWeapons unitname. You may also just remove the magazines of type Strella or Stinger.