Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SPON Kits (ACCEPTED)  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
SPON Kits (ACCEPTED)
« on: 08 Dec 2007, 15:17:13 »
SPON Kits v0.1.1
- Released: 2007-12-10
- Install size: 16k
- 100% scripts
- No addon dependencies
- See attached README.html for full details

Manage equipment load-outs for soldiers.

DOES NOT require that the SPON Core scripts package be installed in the mission, but does output debugging messages that will be logged if SPON Core is installed. Both SPON Kits and SPON Core are script-based and do not require any addons to be installed on client or server. The demo includes SPON Core v0.1.2 to enable the debugging log.

Features
    * Assign all the equipment for soldiers in your mission from a standard list of loadouts.
    * Re-spawning players (not AI) are automatically re-equipped.
    * When entering the game (or re-spawning), night-vision goggles can be auto-equipped.
    * Compatibility: SP, SP Teamswitch, MP and MP JIP - Full.

Limitations
    * Although respawning players are re-equipped with their original kit equipment, AI that respawn are given their default equipment.
    * This script does not check whether the person could carry the equipment being assigned, which could lead to a person carrying more than he should be able to.

Known Bugs
None.

Design Aims
    * Allow equipment loads to be de-coupled from soldier configuration.
    * Allow standardisation of layout, so one can equip a large number of troops in the same way without effort and to allow every soldier's kit to be changed from one place
    * Avoid addons, in favour of scripting, as far as possible. 100% scripts!

Credits
    * Significant testing and feedback by members of the Regiment of Grenadier Guards [RGG] squad. Thanks fellas!

Change Log
Change Log
v0.1.1
- Fixed
    * Reference to giveKit.sqf in the documentation should have been to assignKit.sqf.
    * The file, giveKit.sqf, has been replaced by assignKit.sqf, so should not have been included in the release.

v0.1.0
- First release as a separate pack.

v0.0.21
- Original release as part of SPON Scripts pack.

Get SPON Kits
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2008, 12:16:00 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: SPON Kits (DO NOT SUBMIT)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2007, 11:29:31 »
Updated to v0.1.1: Removed a file that shouldn't have still been in the pack and references to it in the documentation.

Offline Loyalguard

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2007, 10:49:10 »
Spooner-

I tried this out last night.  It worked great and was very handy.  Nice work!

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2007, 13:36:11 »
Good to hear! I have had complaints that this script is very difficult to configure, which is certainly an issue I'd like to address in future versions (explaining it better and giving more meaningful error messages, rather than changing the way that it is configured). I also think that more example kits, especially for RACS and SLA, would be useful for users to adapt for their own uses. Don't hold your breath though, since I have plenty of bugs to iron out of other scripts before worrying about this one again, at least until people find bugs here too :whistle:

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: SPON Kits (ACCEPTED)
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2009, 18:06:09 »
Was discussing Kits elsewhere, and wrote a bit of code that might be useful to some people:
I've never understood why people want to respawn with the exact equipment they died with. Just means they have to waste time getting more ammo to replace what they used up before they died! Consider the option of adding actions to your crates that allow you to switch kits entirely, then picking the kit of your choice is even easier for the player and you'd automatically respawn with that kit:
Code: (init.sqf) [Select]
crate addAction ["Switch to Grenadier kit", "switchKitAction.sqf", ["Grenadier_US"]];
crate addAction ["Switch to Rifleman kit", "switchKitAction.sqf", ["Rifleman_US"]];
crate addAction ["Switch to SAW kit", "switchKitAction.sqf", ["AR_US"]];
Code: (switchKitAction.sqf) [Select]
_actor = _this select 1;
_kitName = (_this select 3) select 0;

_kitData = [_kitName] call SPON_findKit;

_actor setVariable ["SPON_kit", _kitData];

[_actor] call SPON_equipWithKit;
This is a script I haven't touched in a very long time, though I have had a lot of ideas for improving it. As I said, people haven't seemed to show a lot of interest in it, so I haven't re-visited it. Either use it as it is, or take some of the techniques from it to suit your own needs.

Note that SPON Kits doesn't take into account the smaller inventory size of the medic, so really, if someone is a medic, they should be denied the action menu.