Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Spaces in filenames problem  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
Spaces in filenames problem
« on: 12 Dec 2007, 22:31:19 »
Hi

I tried to download some resources from the Editors Depot and noticed a problem. A file which has spaces in its filename can't be downloaded at least with Opera and Konqueror on Debian GNU/Linux (Lenny) operating system.

I get a file of 0 bytes with Konqueror, and Opera doesn't like to go even that far.

It's impossible for me to say who is to blame, but having spaces in names of files offered for download sounds like a bad practice to me... it's asking for problems I think.

I actually haven't noticed this kind of problem before, and I have a feeling that it has not always been a problem on Linux and with these very same browsers. But what I know for sure is that currently I can't download any file which have spaces in their filenames from OFPEC.

To ensure that OFPEC users don't get this kind of problem in the future, I recommend that you change spaces in filenames to - or _ and update your database/static pages accordingly.

Best Regards
Baddo.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: Spaces in filenames problem
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2007, 23:05:50 »
thanks for the heads up.  :good:

would you also be so kind as to point us to the resources in question? you'll appreciate we have more than one or two to check through...

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2007, 23:25:20 »
At least these OFP file format references:

- FXY (font)    Fxy%20Fonts.zip
- P3D MLOD    P3d%20file%20format.zip
- PBO            Pbo%20file%20format.zip
- Pristine Addons (Revised) Pristine%20Addons.html

The %20 is the space in the filename I think, and in principle it should work, but it doesn't.

Edit: You know what? I tried to download "Faces and Voices.Cain.zip" from OFP Units and Vehicles, and it works perfectly! And I get no %20 in the filename... when I try the others which I listed above, the %20 is in the filenames and I think that is the problem. The filenames in the above list are direct copy&pastes from the "Save" dialog I get when I try to download the files. I assumed that the %20 is automatically inserted to replace the space, like I recall it can happen with URL's but ""Faces and Voices.Cain.zip"" doesn't have it and I guess only you can figure out what the difference is between those files...

Seems like I wasn't wrong when I had a feeling that a space in the filename should be no problem to Linux+Opera/Konqueror.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2007, 23:37:30 by Baddo »

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:52:46 »
When I was staff I wrote a document for processing submissions which had no spaces in filenames as one of its directions. Spaces in file names are evil and should never be used.
urp!

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:31:06 »
For the newer stuff we are following the guidelines of no spaces. I'll have a look  at these ones shortly.
Xbox Rocks

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2007, 08:40:27 »
it was an issue with a handful of older (pre peanut/mandoble era) resources, and then only in the ofp section.

all sorted now.

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2007, 18:45:57 »
Okay, good to hear  :)

You could even have an automated procedure in place to handle the submitted resources/check already submitted resources, and adjust their filenames if needed. I don't know what kind of Coding Department you have today, but I think it should be no problem for coders to create a script which does such sanitizing work, and integrate it into the website so that no manual work would be needed in this regard.

Cheers,
Baddo.