Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Raise db in description.ext  (Read 1415 times)

Offline nettrucker

• Members
  • Too young to die-OFP Campaign by TOY & nettrucker
Raise db in description.ext
« on: 03 Nov 2007, 09:31:26 »
Hi everybody :D

I encountered during editing of the audiofiles some difficulties. When I changed the db value in the description.ext it wouldn't have any effect on the volume of the files. Some of the files were simply to low on volume so I tried to raise the db's, but nothing's changed. Is there anybody else who got the same or similar probs. Being unable to achieve the change by editing the description.ext I had to raise the db's of the audiofiles in my soundediting programm.
Any ideas? :dunno:
regards
nettrucker
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2007, 23:56:49 by nettrucker »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: Raise db in description.ext
« Reply #1 on: 03 Nov 2007, 10:11:01 »
Edit the sound file and increase the volume taking care of not increasing also the distortion.

Offline nettrucker

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 03 Nov 2007, 10:20:20 »
Hi Mandoble

that's what I did . . . in the end I edited the soundfile. Editing the db values in the description.ext should be possible though but it doesn't work. I just wanted to know if this is a phenomena which only I do experience or is there someone else who  can confirm this.
Thanks for the reply.
regards
nettrucker :D

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2007, 11:02:34 »
Well...I -think- (don't quote me on this now), but I -think- that db +10 is actually just a decibel increase of 1 (i.e., the number 10 is actually 1.0). So to get any audible increase in decibels you might have to increase it with quite a lot (like +100 to get a 10 db increase). Maybe maybe?  :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline nettrucker

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 03 Nov 2007, 11:10:27 »
Hi Wolfrug
thanks for this input i'll gonna try it out once again. I did raise the db actually + 50 but I couldn't notice any changement when playing the mission, but I'll do some further experiments and let you know. Thanks for the tip.
regards

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2007, 14:45:13 »
IIRC in OFP db over 0 did nothing, however negative db value decreases the sound volume.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #6 on: 03 Nov 2007, 16:28:43 »
db affects directly to the distance from where the sound might be heard, but not the maximum volume itself.

Offline nettrucker

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2007, 23:55:16 »
Hi
Thanks for all your replies.
I did some further testing. I rased db to + 100 on a soundfile which is low on volume inside the mission in the description. I saved . . . restarted ArmA once again. No audible changement to hear therefore I guess you can't raise volume of an audiofile by simply modifying db value in the description.ext. At least for me it doesn't work. In case I have a low volume audiofile I have to re-edit the volume with my soundeditor. That's my conclusion  . . . I don't know if anyone else experienced the same or differently. :dunno:
Please give some feedback in case someone did some experimenting on this matter in question.
regards

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #8 on: 09 Nov 2007, 02:40:14 »
i tried db +250, no luck either. just used Goldwave to change the volume and up it a bunch.  was the only way  :dunno:

Offline nettrucker

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 09 Nov 2007, 13:00:37 »
Hello LeeHunt
Thanks for your confirmation. at least now i know that I'm not the only one who can't raise the volume of audiofiles by simply changing db values in the description.ext.
Have I nice weekend.
Regards