Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sounds and cameras  (Read 996 times)

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Sounds and cameras
« on: 08 Nov 2007, 10:39:03 »
The problem:
If you have a camera active, and you make an object to generate a sound using say command, doesnt matter how far from the camera is that object, the sound will be played as if the camera where at the position of the sound source.

Case example:
You have a camera "flying" over an island and aproaching a battle zone, at the same time you are executing a script that creates custom explosions with custom Fx and custom sounds over the battle area, the explosions are created at placement of some gamelogics and the custom sounds are played with "say" command by these gamelogics. But as soon as you activate that "custom battle effect script" and with the camera still far away of the battle area, all the sounds are clearly audible as if all of them happened at the current camera position.

Is there any workaroud for this bug?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Sounds and cameras
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2007, 12:55:45 »
I've noticed this myself for my DSAI. As soon as the player dies and the "death cam" begins, you can hear all the sounds "said" by other units as clear as daylight. Weeeird.

Hm. Here's a random idea (completely untested): in ArmA, unlike OFP, I believe that radio commands that are said by a specific unit are actually said by the unit, not just transmitted to the radio net immediately. Thus you can hear the enemies shout things like "5, attack that...BARREL". But I don't think these shouts are "bugged" in the same way (since you don't start hearing a ton of battle chatter the moment you die).

Only problem with using the radio channel is of course that the "blip" sound when starting and ending are automatically applied, and I think there's even static automatically added to the whole clip. So that -might- not work. Then again, I've never heard the "blips" transmitted when your enemies are shouting in group radio, so they might not be audible outside. Also I haven't actually tried this with custom radio sounds, so I don't know if they're "said" by the unit or not...

Worth a shot?  :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline nettrucker

• Members
  • Too young to die-OFP Campaign by TOY & nettrucker
Re: Sounds and cameras
« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2007, 23:36:14 »
Hi Mandoble
A workaround would be recording a soundfile with battlesounds and editing directly a fade in of the soundfile. If you know how long it takes for the camera to move to the position where the sound should be heard at his full volume. Negative thing with that work around is that you can't use it for a loop in script. In case you need to loop it you need to use 2 versions of the same soundfile. one with the fade in and another with it's full volume to be looped. That's the only workaround I can think of at the moment. I don't know if this workaround fits you're needs Mandoble but it should be possible. Use playSound instead of a sound classed as a radiofile so you won't hear the "bip" when activating the file which is to be heard in the mission. How many soundfiles with different sounds are you using to achieve the the battle ambient sounds? If you are using lot's of different sounds to simulate a battleambience you should pack these in one single soundfile where you can do a fade in. If you use a lot of different explosion sounds activated by a say command inside a gamelogic than I guess it becomes more difficult because you would need a large quantity of the same soundfile with different db settings to achieve a raise in volume when the camera moves closing onto the battlescene.
I don't know if this could be a solution for you creating one single combat ambient sound with a fade in as long as the camera needs to move into position where the sound(s) is heard at full volume.
Regards
nettrucker :)