Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Add vehicle type to mission  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Bravo17

• Members
Add vehicle type to mission
« on: 17 Oct 2007, 16:01:27 »
I've managed to add a new vehicle type (based on a standard ARMA vehicle) by placing the pbo file in the addon directory, but I haven't been able to add the vehicle type to a mission by using code in the mission files themselves so that other players do not need the addon to play the mission.

Does anyone have a way of doing this or do new vehicles need to be added via an addon when ARMA starts up? If it is possible, could you supply a code example?

Many thanks.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: Add vehicle type to mission
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2007, 16:25:55 »
Sadly, you can't include any new weapons, soldiers, vehicles, etc. directly in a mission. Any items you want to use in a mission must be already loaded via an addon/pbo at start-up (of server and/or client).

A lot of us really wish you could put pbos into a mission (even if they could only contain config and not data), but what can you do?
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline [KH]Alien

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2007, 00:24:39 »
you could easily add a script, and call it however,

tmp = createvehicle["DC3", position player]

this would build the dc3, but as for players that don't have it / the server not having it, i really dont know what would happen to them.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2007, 01:45:46 »
Well, things would go wrong if you created something like that when not everyone had that addon. You'd need to have the QG addons in the list of required addons in the mission for that to work, since then, anyone who didn't have QG wouldn't be able to start playing the mission. This question, however, is not asking how to create something from an "external" addon, but rather whether it would be possible to include an addon-based item within a mission so that there would be no external dependencies.

Offline ironcross

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2007, 13:42:47 »
Is there any way to add textures/Sounds to Vehicles & players in game? from .wav & Jpg files stored in mission folder?
ANY scripts or textures I use will be given DETAILED Acknowledgment's when help or scripts are used.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2007, 13:59:34 »
As far as I am aware, you can't add/change textures for vehicles or people without an addon. You can only bring in 2D images within dialogs, on flags (on the flagpole object, using setFlagTexture) or as particles.

You can't change the default sounds either (such as motor sounds or weapon sounds) but you can make any object make an additional noise by using the say command. You can also add background sound and music or radio messages with sound. These sounds can be in wav or ogg format (ogg is MUCH preferred, in order to keep file size down).  There is a tutorial for OFP which is still relevant for ArmA (Music Sound and Radio).

Offline ironcross

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2007, 14:22:20 »
Thanks man, im not realy good at mission editing but i know my way around editing & making small addons & i thought that there might be a command for replacing properly formated textures with raw Jpg's stored in mission folder, as i found out that you can use raw jpg's to replace textures in arma but they are BULKY >:D this gave me the idea it might be possible to add them through scripts.

& you know how you can rearm vehicles, well i thought there might be a way to rearm one with sounds stored in mp mission folder.
ANY scripts or textures I use will be given DETAILED Acknowledgment's when help or scripts are used.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2007, 15:33:42 »
jpeg images are a compressed image format, if you use jpeg images for object textures it would place a higher workload on the game engine as it then has to uncompress each jpeg texture in order to use it when needed.

I would imagine you would also enjoy any jpeg artifacts produced by the compression and decompression.

paa textures work out fine.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline ironcross

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2007, 18:53:32 »
yeh i know what you mean ;)