Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: HELP! How to Reduce or Eliminate the use of Command Spotting in MP  (Read 1142 times)

Offline ViperMaul

• Members
    • Theatre Of War (Team PvP Campaign)
Every Community Needs Heros!!
Are you one?!

I am looking for a hero! Someone to help to minimize what we I Command Spotting.

In single player, you can go to the Command menu (the one you use for your AI and when in vehicles) you can scan the landscape or even through mountains and buildings and see enemy tags and assign targets. This happens even with tags off. And once that target is assigned that player can cannot hide because that box follows you behind any cover or concealment.
In MP this is a CHEAT or if that is too harsh of a term, we can say unrealistic for true MP in conventional warfare. How can you flank behind buildings and cover when you can Command Spot through all manners of cover?

One thought was to remove the labels or friendly tags from any enemy inside a vehicle.
But it seems that Command Spotting (seeing the enemies even 6000+ meters away) is hard-coded somewhere. And the fear is that it is so deeply integrated that even BIS would want to turn it off.

So YOU WOULD BE GOD to the MP tournament community if you solved that in MP.
Can somone help me learn how to remove enemy or all tags when in a vehicle to disable the Command Spotting MP cheat.
Perhaps we all who read this can through out ideas to explore and see if some workaround solution could be done.

Do you have any ideas?
ViperMaul
Theatre of War (Co-Lead Dev)
ACE (Jr Project Manager)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Although I've not managed to use this spotting exploit through buildings, it definitely does work through things like corrugated iron fences, which is just absurd! I've already had a look for the BIS display that shows this information, but I can't find it in the configs (I looked in "/ca/ui/config.bin" and "/bin/config.bin", but it could be hidden somewhere else). If it could be found, then I imagine a simple addon could disable this x-ray vision, foe-recognition & magic range-finder exploit, once and for all!

The best I can come up with would be to disable the command button entirely, so that no-one could even bring up this command mode. This might just be acceptable in games when there weren't player-controlled AI, but really isn't a great solution. Haven't tried it, but it could be better than not being able to sort this out at all.

(this is almost certainly going to require an addon, rather than a scripted, fix, so should be moved to the appropriate forum).
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2007, 22:53:38 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)