Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Realistic artillery-script  (Read 5785 times)

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
Re: Realistic artillery-script
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2007, 01:33:42 »
ok using Spooner's suggestion I got the demo to work (removing map_misc from the mission.sqm addons list)

some thoughts from someone who believes in "idiot-proofing" everything.  Napoleon used to keep a village idiot outside his tent while he wrote campaign orders for his Field Marshals.  After writing the orders, he'd have the village idiot read them.  If the idiot couldn't understand them clearly, he re-wrote the orders.  Anyway, the point is, a good demo allows the casual downloader to load up the mission, be told what should happen and what to do right away within the mission, not just in the readme.  Anyway it wasn't totally clear what was going on at first and in fact my first few artillery salvos landed in the water and i thought the script didn't work. So you get my point, would be good to spiff up the markers, map, etc etc. for idiot beginners like myself  :D

« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2007, 13:43:42 by LeeHunt »

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2007, 13:46:33 »
Aye, since demos are meant to demonstrate, not challenge the player, adding clear markers to the map can be very useful. In this case, marking the position of the player, the direction the enemy are advancing from and the position of the artillery would make things more idiot-proof.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline skickahit10

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2007, 17:51:15 »
ok. I'm working to fix some of the stuff that you all pointed out.
will return with a smarter and more beautiful version soon  :)

Offline Surdus Priest

• Members
  • Only I can Forgive You!
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2007, 14:13:25 »
its a good script, but im not sure if ts effective as a 'realistic' arty, imo it should make th guns fire into the air and fake explosions should hit the target, because the targets seem to need to be in the guns line of sight, otherwise they shoot at the ground.  very nice work though, i was always wondering how to make a weapon fire at something it cannot see.
Campaigns are hard, I'll stick with scripting for now!

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2007, 14:20:12 »
You could force the gunners to fire the guns in the direction they are currently pointing, regardless of what they are targetting or whether they really "want" to fire, using:
Code: [Select]
(gunner _gun) action ["UseWeapon", _gun, gunner _gun, 0];
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline skickahit10

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2007, 13:15:41 »
its a good script, but im not sure if ts effective as a 'realistic' arty, imo it should make th guns fire into the air and fake explosions should hit the target, because the targets seem to need to be in the guns line of sight, otherwise they shoot at the ground.  very nice work though, i was always wondering how to make a weapon fire at something it cannot see.

uhm, something must have gone wrong for you, the guns are not supposed to fire down to the ground and the target doesn't have to be in sight for the guns at all.
when the script work as it should the guns will fire at a certain calculated angle and the shells will then fall down on the specified target.
too bad that it doens't work for you :/