Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Protect Units  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Protect Units
« on: 31 Aug 2007, 00:43:21 »
Most people probably know that having M2 gunners on the Hummers is basically the same as suicide for them. Also, drivers tend to get shot at pretty often, most of the times resulting in death quickly.

Is there anything that can help my crews from being more protected, after all, a hummer should offer them some protection with it's pretty resistant steel plating and normally protected M2 gunner.

I've tried setdammage and stuff with eventHandlers, but for some reason it is not working all too well. Seems like the whole damage system is somewhat vague and not completely working how it's supposed to work.

Can anyone help?
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re: Protect Units
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:32:46 »
AFAIK, small arms fire will penetrate HMMWVs unless they've had extra platings inserted. But if you still like your guys to stay alive, and the EH/getdammage method doesn't work, I'd try removing the bodies the second they die and replace them with new spawns. I don't know how this'll look aestheticly (especially if the Humvee is in the player's group) but it's always worth a try, right?

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2007, 13:00:40 »
Hey dmakatra,

There are different types of the Humvee, some have additional armor for more ballistic protection. These types are used for patrols in dangerous areas. The Humvees in ArmA lack that option and thus can be rendered somewhat useless for convoy protection and patrols in their current state.

Will give it a try. About the dammage, as fas as I know, they aren't working. The whole damage system of a bit - weird :).
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2007, 14:18:09 »
http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=29789.0 cf my last post

-> it does work with vehicles too, to the extent of "not killing" the vehicle (can be shot with endless amounts of RPGs etc without exploding). However the crew is generally killed.

Maybe try applying the same hit-eventhandler separately to the crew somehow? (maybe naming the crew to make it even more specific). :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"