Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Wirecutters  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Carroll

• Members
  • Mission Designer (MP-"well tryin to capiche"
Wirecutters
« on: 20 Aug 2007, 11:46:44 »
Hi, i was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to cut holes through mesh fences? Preferably non-editor placed fences.

If anyone has done this in ArmA succesfully & wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction...

Carroll

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
Re: Wirecutters
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007, 16:25:06 »
hey Carroll,

Interesting idea.   I can't give you a complete solution but maybe the right direction-- The trick may be to figure out the object ID's/names of what you want to clear.  You could maybe use the NearestObject command to find the nearest fence in your script running the wirecutting action, then delete it to simulate the cut?   Perhaps an "addaction" command for the player that runs a script checking the nearest object to him, and if that nearest object is indeed a fence, then it disappears adn you can make the player run an animation to simulate cutting...

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2007, 08:42:17 »
Can you delete objects not placed in the editor?????
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2007, 08:50:40 »
i think you can setdammage them to 1?  didn't people do this en masse in OFP to clear trees, buildings etc?  haven't done it myself in AA...

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2007, 09:19:05 »
If you know the name of the object you can delete it with

Code: [Select]
deleteVehicle fenceName
Or you can delete the closest (use nearestObject) fence upon activation.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2007, 10:28:37 »
That goes only for editor placed fences, you can't delete any map objects.
You can only setdamage them..
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2007, 10:44:00 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2007, 14:10:04 »
Just being able to setdamage on map objects is pretty cool. Didn't know that.....

So...what's the name of that big mountain South of Paraiso... 8) :laugh:

I make a cutscene yet...Krakatoa: South of Paraiso. j/k good info though, thanks.
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2007, 19:44:27 »
First post here, and it isn't even something directly for me. :)

A friend of mine has an issue with this exact same idea, so rather than start a new topic, I figured I'd bump this one with the issue.  Apologies if this is inappropriate. :cool2:

Anyhoo - here's the idea.

...this will be a MP mission, so there will be at least 2 squads of guys playing. What I want to do, is have an action menu pop-up when someone gets to the fence that says "Break Fence", and this will be to do exactly wat it says, break a section of an already in-game fence (the ones with the ID numbers, NOT something I put in).

I want it so ANYONE playing can do this, but once it happens, it goes away, and when someone walks away from the fence, it will disappear from there action menu, and can't be used anymore. When someone clicks the action menu for breaking the fence, it will perform an animation for example, AinvPknlMstpSnonWnonDnon_medic_1, and I will setdamage 1 the fence so it breaks.

Can anyone tell me how to get this working? I know how to do some of it, but the harder stuff is over my head. I've got it KINDA working in MP now, but its with triggers, it doesn't removeaction correctly, and when 1 guy does the action and breaks the fence, everyone else still sees a full fence and only that 1 guy can see the broken piece. Anyone know how to get this all working? ....

Here's some sorta-code he's tried.
BreakFence = thislist select 0 addAction ["Break Fence", "CutFence.sqs"] is in the On Act field
player removeaction BreakFence is in the De Act field
if not(isServer) then exitWith{};
_player = _this select 0
_id = _this select 2
; remove the action once it is activated
_player removeAction _id

_player playmove "AinvPknlMstpSlayWrflDnon_medic"
~8.3
position _player nearestObject 3924 setDamage 1

exit

I believe he'll be registering, too, so he can join in.

Thanks, of course.  (BTW, spent about 2 hours over the last few days just trying to absorb all the great information in these forums!)   :clap:
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline Carroll

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2007, 07:55:20 »
Yes i had a very similar addAction in mind when i was first contemplating the wirecutter, however i found it too static. what i really had in mind was something much more dynamic.

Because i didn't want to have to infiltrate through the same piece of fence each time i do the mission. However i don't want to be adding Actions to each segment of fence either. Arma missions made in the editor have a very great thing going for them when you can add random waypoints to units, and because of this missions do not always play out the same way every time  :cool2:

With this in mind i was hoping for a wirecutter that is completely dynamic - in that it works on every piece of fence netting - though with out adding actions to each segment, however i understand that non-editor created Objects are static & if one wishes to manipulate them, scripting to each ID is the only possible way?

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #9 on: 04 Nov 2007, 16:39:36 »
So, I may have missed something.. but you cant' add an action to the nearest fence to the player using NearestObject command?

Do some 5 second loop or so checking what fence is nearer to the player, then add the cut fence action.

I'm interested in something like this for a mission I have been working on in the past.. hence the bump :P

Offline Carroll

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 05 Nov 2007, 06:53:24 »
Yes you can, but i want the option for only a mesh fence....wouldn't using 'nearestObject' allow me to set dammage to any object (Huge Rocks, Buildings, Bridges, etc)  :scratch: i dont want to be able to setDamage using nearestObject to just any object i approach...how can i define only a certain type of fence?

EDIT: okay - nearestObject Type, i've never used it before  :-[ - but i think i will now... learning something new everyday  :good:

Offline Loyalguard

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 05 Nov 2007, 10:25:35 »
@JasonO and Carroll - Using nearestObject type was the first thing I thought of as well, but, I don't believe that all the chainlink fences (which I think are the ones you would want to cut I think) in ArmA have defined classes.  Looking at the OFP portion of the Biki and the ArmA COMREF, there appear to be a couple of chain link fence models:

pletivo - ChainLink Fence
pletivo_dira - Broken ChainLink Fence
pletivo_wired - ChainLink Fence With BarbedWire

But, only pletivo_dira has a classname I think.  So, nearestObject type won't work because the only types/classes it could find would be the fences that already have a hole in them.  I ran into this same problem while trying to using nearObjestcs type to find the telegraph/utility poles that line the roads and connect the smaller towns (not the big towers, the small wooden ones with no wires between them).

That being said...I am very new to all of this though so if someone can prove me wrong, I would be very happy!
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2007, 10:30:27 by Loyalguard »