Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Picture In Briefing Problem, Messed up brightness/contrast  (Read 1974 times)

This is actually a composite of several posts in a single topic over at bi forums.

Ok, think this is a straight up arma bug, but here's all the info to be sure.

Note that this problem is exclusively related to briefing pictures.  Pictures in the overview and dialogs work fine.

Attempting to display this jpg

in a briefing has this result

Note the top image is completely unedited.  It consists of 11 bars ranging from black to pure white in even increments.

The bottom image is also unedited, with the exception of cropping the the unneeded sections out.  Also, for reference, the top bar is displayed as [129,129,129] instead of [255,255,255] as it should be.

Basically, the game is decreasing brighness by 66% and contrast by 50% (roughly) as can be seen in this image:

So, in a nutshell, white translates literally to medium grey.

I thought that there was perhaps a chance that the briefing doesn't like the format being used (even though it's *supposed* to be supported).  So, just to eliminate that, I exported the file in every listed PAA format, and some that aren't listed as well.  Then, just to make damn sure, I even made a couple custom specs by editing the TexConvert.cfg file of texView2.

These pictures are from BIS' 17: Capture The Island mssion (mp06conquertheisland.sara.pbo).

These images in order are the red flag as displayed in texxview2, the red flag as displayed in the mission, the bad tactics image as displayed in texview2, and the bad tactics image as displayed in the mission.

Note that they are off in exactly the same way as the images above.  My comment about them being displayed with brightness -66% and contrast -50% holds true (with a little deviation, but it's a rough number anyways).

This has most likely conclusively demonstrated that it is not the format, because no matter which format is used, the only way to get white is to go transparent (surprised that briefings support that...).

Since even bis's mission briefings are effected in this way, it's almost definatly a game bug and not user error.

Tried inserting the following code into every section of the notepad class to see if it made a difference somewhere.

colortext[] = {1, 1, 0, 1};
color[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorActive[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorLink[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};
colorLinkActive[] = {1, 0, 1, 1};
colorPicture[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPictureLink[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBackgroundActive[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBackgroundCommand[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBackgroundDisabled[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBackgroundHelp[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBackgroundSelected[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBackground[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBar[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBold[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorBorder[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorCamera[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorChecked[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorConfirmed[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorDirectChannel[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorDisable[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorDisabled[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorEditor[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorEnabled[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorFocused[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorFrame[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorGlobalChannel[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorGroupChannel[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorHoldFire[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorIDPlayer[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorInactive[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorLevels[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorMainCountlinesWater[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorMainCountlines[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorMainRoadsFill[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorMainRoads[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorMissionEditor[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorMissionWizard[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorMission[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorNames[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorNobody[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorNotAssigned[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorOpenFire[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPictureBorder[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPictureSelected[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPingBad[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPlayerSelected[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPlayer[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPowerLines[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorPrepare[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorReady[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorScrollbar[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSea[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSelect2[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSelectBackground2[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSelectBackground[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSelect[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSelection[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSeparator[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorShade[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorShadow[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorSideChannel[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorTextDisable[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorTextSelect[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorTracksFill[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorTracks[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorUnload[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorVehicleChannel[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorVersionBad[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorVersionGood[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
colorWizard[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};

Didn't fix it. The page headers also ended up grey, even though specified to be white. Probably related.

Note that that's nearly every color definition type used in the game.  A few obvious ones where removed (like colorForest, colorForestBorder, etc), but then I got bored removing them.

I also determined that colorPicture[] = {1, 1, 1, 1}; is in fact the control that adjusts the pictures simply by setting it to green.

I tried colorPicture[] = {2, 2, 2, 1}; just out of curiosity but it did nothing as expected.

Tried a bunch of different style definitions as well, even some obscure undocumented ones.

It's almost definatly a bug that I don't have access to, which means that unless someone says something to the contrary here in the next day or two, it gets passed on to BIS.

So, the million dollar question:
Any solutions or workarounds or whatever that anybody knows about?  A search turns up no solutions, just a few old posts on the problem.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 19:26:22 by ColonelSandersLite »
Everything I have released for ARMA can be found here.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: Picture In Briefing Problem, Messed up brightness/contrast
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007, 23:15:29 »
Does it matter whether your video card is ATI or NVidia?
urp!

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2007, 00:45:00 »
Ooh, good question. I have this same problem, running a GeForce 6800.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2007, 01:50:59 »
same problem running ATI radeon X1800 GTO

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2007, 06:55:45 »
Stupid question, but: what are your in-game brightness / gamma settings? I know I get stuff waaay too dark on the default settings (can't see crapola on a full-moon night for instance), but maybe that doesn't have anything to do with the brightness of the briefing pictures. Hmm.

How about giving us an example mission, and those who get the darkened image can post with their specs and those that don't can do so too? If no-one sees the image as it's "supposed" to be, then it's clearly a BIS bug.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2007, 07:23:45 »
Well, in my mission "The Raid" found in the beta forums, the briefing contains one such example, under the 'detailed briefing' link. The picture is inceredibly 'bright' when viewed normally, but in the game inside the briefing, it looks really dark...

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2007, 09:32:18 »
I run an Evga 7950 superclocked (nvidia family).  Since at least one person here has an ATI card, I'd say that it's not likely to be an nvidia problem.  Maybe I should also mention that I'm running 1.08 german.

Stupid question, but: what are your in-game brightness / gamma settings? I know I get stuff waaay too dark on the default settings (can't see crapola on a full-moon night for instance), but maybe that doesn't have anything to do with the brightness of the briefing pictures. Hmm.

How about giving us an example mission, and those who get the darkened image can post with their specs and those that don't can do so too? If no-one sees the image as it's "supposed" to be, then it's clearly a BIS bug.

Wolfrug out.

No such thing as a stupid question ;).  Anyways, my brightness and contrast settings are Bright 0.9 and gamma 1.2.  This is pretty close to RL color balance on my system. Not likely to be related to that however since overview and dialog images are fine.  Only briefing pics are effected like this.  Also there's already an example mission mentioned already.  Just look at BIS' 17: Capture The Island mssion (mp06conquertheisland.sara.pbo) under tactics basics.  Compare your results to the images in the OP above.

@shark attack
No solution found?

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2007, 11:56:41 »
Just a crazy idea, may be all the pictures are rendered as current object textures (using the same internal function). In this case the picture itself would be affected by HDR effects (among others). You may try disabling any HDR effect from ArmA video settings.

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2007, 00:34:40 »
That's a good idea.  I'll try playing around with every arma setting I can think of to see if it helps.