Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Trying to edit BIS sedan  (Read 1878 times)

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
[SOLVED] Trying to edit BIS sedan
« on: 08 Aug 2007, 23:26:47 »
Hi guys

I want to  open the BIS sedan in O2, but O2 gives me an error "file load error" or something similar.

I was told about It may need converting and something to do with MLOD?

I want to edit it and retexture it aswell as add a slight change in the model.

How can I open it in O2 ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2007, 13:45:04 by JasonO »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: Trying to edit BIS sedan
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2007, 03:25:07 »
Well, the .p3d model files from the ArmA game are ODOL format, which means they are binarized.

Oxygen will not open these, Oxygen can only open MLOD format p3d model files.

So, no real way for you to edit ODOL files, however you may be able to retexture them by using a hex editor to change the texture names and the paths to new texture names and paths, however......with these ODOL format files the length of the new paths and texture names must be the same as the old paths and texture names i.e. if the path plus texture name came to 17 characters in total for a particular entry, the new path plus texture name must also be 17 characters for that entry.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2007, 04:34:47 »
Right, so modifying the model itslef is a big fat no?  :dunno:

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2007, 13:13:27 »
Correct, Oxygen can't do it.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

SyB

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2007, 08:42:55 »
Well, the .p3d model files from the ArmA game are ODOL format, which means they are binarized.

Oxygen will not open these, Oxygen can only open MLOD format p3d model files.

So, no real way for you to edit ODOL files, however you may be able to retexture them by using a hex editor to change the texture names and the paths to new texture names and paths, however......with these ODOL format files the length of the new paths and texture names must be the same as the old paths and texture names i.e. if the path plus texture name came to 17 characters in total for a particular entry, the new path plus texture name must also be 17 characters for that entry.

Planck

Edit: Actually, this doesn't work most of the time, but some of the time it does, and i haven't worked out why...

ahh... not quite correct... all texture paths in odol v40 are Asciiz strings... which means they are 'null' terminated.
so you can have a different length texture path than the original.

eg. when hex editing the file if you were replacing the texture...

Code: [Select]
ca\tracked\data\m1abrams_mg_mount_co.paa. = 41 (including the 0x00 after the .paa)

you could replace with...

Code: [Select]
aawTracked\m1a1\tx\mg_mount_co.paa. = 35 (including the 0x00 after the .paa)

the thing you have to do is shift ALL bytes after the original length 0x00 (null) up the appropriate difference.
In this case 6 bytes.

If you use HexWorkshop it asks you automatically when you do a 'Find & Replace' if you want to do just that... dunno about other hex editors.

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2007, 09:33:03 by Sy »

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2007, 11:58:31 »
I did a search and replace in HexWorkshop and replaced the ASCII text of the texture paths, and it gave me a Out of memory error when using it in ArmA.

I assume i've done the texture paths wrong according to hex rules? The texture name i'm using is much shorter than the original texture name. I think that each letter is a different size byte? I don't know how to check if the name is the correct lenth, the text I change goes red though.. so I assume it means its an invalid size.

What if I was to null pad it, does that mean fill the gaps or something? I bet I sound quite silly talking blabberish about hex ;P

Thanks for your help though.

NVM - done it. Forgot to update the config to match the new folder names etc that I needed to do lol.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2007, 13:44:40 by JasonO »