Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: frontpage hotlink...  (Read 2485 times)

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
frontpage hotlink...
« on: 10 May 2007, 23:14:26 »
you may have noticed a new bar on the frontpage just under the depot links. we have the opportunity of putting something helpful in there, but what should it be? we have some ideas of our own, but we thought we'd ask you what you would find most helpful.

post your ideas here.  :scratch:

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: frontpage hotlink...
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2007, 13:32:27 »
Recently reviewed missions which have received a pretty high score (6 or higher), or scripts which are helpfull to many mission editors.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2007, 20:02:47 »
A fact of some kind related to scripting or to the site.

ArmA : Use Setmarkerpos and getpos to move a marker to an objects location

OFPEC : Use the Search button before using the New Thread Button

etc..  :whistle:

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2007, 20:27:08 »
indeed. years ago ofpec used to have a link under the main depot buttons which said "Lost? New? Click Here For The OFPEC Site Map!"

looking at the site through the eyes of a complete newcomer to any of the flashpoint games, we've realised that we have little in the way of resources aimed at beginners, whereas the site used to be pretty good for that way back when. a symptom of OFPEC growing with the community i suspect.

now there's a new game out there though, with new folks coming to the editing side of it, it's perhaps time we got right back to basics.

keep the suggestions coming folks, it all helps.  :good:

testreg

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2007, 23:09:14 »
i think this is really good idea. i know nothing from ofp orn even my new arma. i enojy missions but i think even ic ould do better - i see loads of mission that people make from new and they are great! but i would like to make mission, even campaign and tell story with, but i cannot becaue it's like, i don't know what to do or even where to start.

if you could make some link on you site to something that would be for starters like you say like me, that would be great. i see the "Editors Depot" and its great, but i dunno wot in there is for me.

also my english is not so good, so you might make it easy for people like me to read. i like your site loads, cool that you listen to people like me and care wot i think, not many sites care like you guys do.

that's all anyway. thanks.

Offline digitaldragon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2007, 19:13:25 »
[sorry I didn't realise where I posted this (DOH!) - moved to new topic]
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2007, 19:15:33 by digitaldragon »

Offline digitaldragon

• Members
Editors Hint of the Day
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2007, 19:22:18 »
sorry I didn't have time to read the other posts so this may have been suggested. What about having a sort of 'Editing Hint of the day' thing. It may be somthing like - 'Ever wanted to put your own face into OFP/ARMA, here's how.' with a link. I think it would be very useful especially to less experienced editors that don't quite know the possibilites of what can be done. I know that when I first began editing, it took me a while before I realised just how much could be edited and I just wish I'd known sooner!

Maybe having a hint of the day/week section would help to encourage newer editors to experiment in other aspects of editing rather than just coming across them by accident. The other advantage would be that the people who do attempt the 'hint/tutorial' would all be working at it at the same time and could get people working together to help each other out.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2007, 19:41:42 »
yet another good idea  :good: keep them coming.

Offline digitaldragon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2007, 20:32:47 »
Ok now I've read them I see that Jason0 has suggested pretty much the same thing.  :good:

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2007, 01:12:36 »
I'm with Jason O......a brief hint/sidestep/shortcut or work around for various editing topics that veterans have figured out and can share.

Or.... where I have experienced delays is in the programming (syntax/language) department. The ComRef has been a huge help but only after years of reading it over and over combined with countless tutorials provided by the dedicated veterans here and endless disecting of PBOed missions for review. If some of the eduacated programmers could provide insights (Syntax Tip Of The Day) of some of the definitions such as "Arrays" or "Boolean" or "Operand Types" to help those who are still learning the scripting language better understand why script has to be written a certain way it could truly help the newbies. Perhaps the tip could link to a topic already covered in the forum from years ago but newbies don't know to look for it because they are not that deep in the game yet.

Another idea.......perhaps announcing the addon/mod of the day, week, month or year accompanied by a link that takes you to a thread for discussion of that current addon/mod where people download, review, rate and comment on it. OFPEC has always been the Ultimate OFP site...missed by all when it went down,.... even more so than BISForums but it would really be the site for optimum feedback from the community for addons

Another Idea.....in stead of Addons/Mods, (and since they are easier for the average fan to create) Missions could be spotlighted and discussed community wide while it is spotlighted.

I'm rambling now.

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jul 2007, 03:29:35 »
one more vote in favor of JasonO's idea-- just like in the Baldurs Gate games, everytime you load a new page a different command or scripting hint is displayed in that bar.