Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Soldiers dont shoot over sandbags?  (Read 6734 times)

Offline DucusSumus

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Soldiers dont shoot over sandbags?
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2007, 18:01:35 »
It might work at 20 yards -- they'll even fire over sandbags at 20 yards -- but 20 yards is hardly a realistic engagement range, and it allows an approaching enemy to easily pick off defending AI.  With the saddle/setDamage 1 trick, you can get the AI to fire at a realistic range (200 meters+).  I have no idea how BIS could have possibly coded it like this, but so far, this is the only thing I've found that works.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2007, 19:47:06 by DucusSumus »

Offline DjTano

• Members
« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2007, 19:01:32 »
With the saddle/setDamage 1 trick, you can get the AI to fire at a realistic range (200 meters+).

yea but doesnt tht destroy the sandbag?

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #32 on: 24 Jun 2007, 19:31:36 »
With the saddle/setDamage 1 trick, you can get the AI to fire at a realistic range (200 meters+).

Ducus is right, setdammage 1 dramatically improved the AI firing over the Obstacle Saddle cement walls.  I revised the example mission in earlier post if anyone wants to see it in action.  AI is now firing on enemies 100M plus down range.

yea but doesnt tht destroy the sandbag?

I believe Ducus is referring to the Obstacle Saddle object here.  Setdammage 1 trick does NOT work on sandbag (i believe), but it does work on the Obstacle saddle objects.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jun 2007, 20:01:06 »
I read over at the BIS forums that this is bug has been brought to the attention of developers and Suma assigned it to be worked on:

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=1634

So hopefully we won't have to use lame workarounds for too long...
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Dobermann

• Members
  • Ready to disturb you anytime
« Reply #34 on: 02 Jul 2007, 08:02:15 »

Offline DjTano

• Members
« Reply #35 on: 02 Jul 2007, 18:58:11 »
i noticed this problem with pillboxes too, cumon BIS gimme a break, this game is a pay-per-play beta!  >:(

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #36 on: 02 Jul 2007, 19:08:07 »
You would do better speaking to BI on their own forums, these forums are not part of the BI empire.

Try and stay on topic.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Doolittle

• Contributing Member
  • _this select 0
« Reply #37 on: 06 Jul 2007, 00:27:37 »
From Suma:
The bug is caused by the function responsible for friendly fire avoidance. Sandbags are considered civilian entities, and therefore friendly, and AI therefore hesitates to fire close to them unless the enemy is very near.

Until we provide a fix, a workaround for addon or mod makers might be to create an addon with alternative sandbags represented with a simulation "camera" instead of usual "house", and use such sandbags in the mission instead of the default ones. Such workaround would have some limitations (sandbags not destructible and not targetable by AI), but it still might be useful.

Another workaround might be to create them with a simulation house, but non-destructible (DestructNo), and then use setDamage 1 on them.

Offline Dobermann

• Members
  • Ready to disturb you anytime