Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AI skill settings in general  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
AI skill settings in general
« on: 02 Jun 2007, 00:26:10 »
Something bothers me since ArmA release...

How does the introduction of skill as a difficulty option influence mission design?  :dunno:

Is it an override that absolutely replaces the set AI skills of a mission?
Does the option setting represent a percentage value of the original skills stored in a mission? (e.g. option 0.75 lowers a skill of 0.5 to 0.375)
When I retrieve skill of units in editor preview it stays on the editor value, no matter what difficulty option setting.

From my first impression skill settings in the editor have become redundant, what will make it impossible to fine tune missions or to represent novice/trained troops in scenarios.  >:(

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
Re: AI skill settings in general
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2007, 18:49:25 »
Nobody knows?  :dunno:

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2007, 19:06:38 »
have you tried BI forums, and/or the BIKI?

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2007, 19:58:34 »
Biki

ArmA Mission Editor / Skill:
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Mission_Editor#Skill

ArmA Manual / Difficulty
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Manual#Difficulty

So I guess the options are overriding the mission makers choice. Just like SuperAI did in OFP.
I didn't ask in the official forums for now.

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:12:47 »
This interesting experiment was reported by Second in the BIS boards in answer to my question:
I would say that skill level in editor do have effect. Fired few shootingrange-tests with it, nothing solid sientific style... Late night alredy should get to bed.

Target was standing man at about 100 meters, which started to move after a while. Distance was low so stationary target proved to be easy target for both and my difficulty setting with presision is at 0.5. Moving target was much more harder to novice.

Other sniper's skill set to 1 and other's to 0.2 (skill bar to bottom)... Difference was noticeable.

-Novice sniper missed more (not all target were hit with first shot. I'd say that about 1.3 shots needed to hit stationary target). When target was moving, novice might spent about 7-8 shots to hit.

-With expert first shot was always hit in stationary target. if target was moving then he might have used even 2 shots. Infact expert sniper had bad tendensy to shoot novice's targets, as target was getting away  :rofl:

Test with assault rifles and such aren't very reliable as recoil might pull weapon so much up that AI might fire his whole mag above target. With FDF i noticed this, as experts shot as worse as novices (in shootingrange tests) if first shot missed target -> rest mag was spent to birds.

The ai skill/precision seems to be so ridiculous high that no one is able to notice a difference while playing but the editor skill setting does still have an effect.