Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Just learning  (Read 1269 times)

Offline enven

• Members
  • Procrastination is my middle name.
    • I told you, I procrastinate.
Just learning
« on: 13 May 2007, 08:46:46 »
I recently bought ARMA and wanted to know more about creating missions, it seems that there is a plethora of information regarding how on your great forum, although; I am still lost.

I have a blue print (a story line, and a series of ideas) as to what I want to make, just trying to make it is the difficult part.

Is there anyway I could be steered in the direction as to how..Or what needs to be done to create a mission?...

I hope this won't be shot down...

-Enven

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: Just learning
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2007, 11:57:27 »
welcome to OFPEC - you've come to the right place.

you'll probably already know that ArmA is built on the previous success of operation flashpoint (OFP). the two are quite similar editing-wise, but with enough differences to make things tricky. since ArmA is relatively new you'll find only a few handfuls of resources specifically for that game. however, the principles of mission editing such as how to place units, how to get them to do stuff - all that is still the same.

my suggestion therefore is that you start with the FAQ. even if you only skim through it you'll begin to see the mechanics of both in-game editing and scripting, which looks a lot more daunting than it really is.

then move onto the COMREF. again, skimming it will give a good idea of the commands available to editors.

finally, get into the guts of it with the tutorials section of the editors depot. they are all gathered from the OFP era but a great many of them will still be relevant.

you'll find we have members representing a wide range of editing abilities, and we always welcome those who are just starting the journey - we were all there once, so don't worry about it. a little light reading through the resources mentioned above will give you a solid start.

once again, welcome to the site.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2007, 12:25:26 »
Welcome enven,
dont forget also to download editable missions or pbo (your need a tool to unpack them) and from the editor check how they are done. Remember that the edited missions are kept into folders with mission name, these folders are in:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_PC_USERNAME\MyDocuments\Arma\Missions

or, if you created a new user from ArmA
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_PC_USERNAME\MyDocuments\ArmA Other Profiles\YOUR_ARMA_USER\missions

The following file is kept on your pc and is a text file that tracks errors. Have a look at it when you script something that outputs any error and clear it from time to time.
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_PC_USERNAME\local config\Program Data\ArmA\arma.RPT
« Last Edit: 13 May 2007, 12:30:01 by bedges »

Offline enven

• Members
  • Procrastination is my middle name.
    • I told you, I procrastinate.
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2007, 18:01:58 »
Thank you both very much for the kind welcome!

I will begin my journey of research on your site as of today, I have some reading and tinkering to do now  :D, pretty stoked you guys gave me some insight.

Yeah; I assumed from what I read when I searched and over viewed some of the facts that it is similar to the OFP mission builder, which is foreign to me also, but thankfully I am motivated so I'll be getting on top of things.

I look forward to uploading my missions to you guys first hand!

If I have any more remedial questions, I will most likely post it in this thread!
-Enven

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2007, 00:14:41 »
I definitely recommend using some of the Ofpec tutorials and following them to the letter in creating a mission. Try Johan Gustaffson's for example on cutscenes and type in everything yourself. You learn so much faster that way and it builds confidence in your ability to make the really cool stuff happen!  :)

Offline D_P_

• Members
  • YAY! I'm a lama again! ...oh wait.
    • ArmaAddons
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2007, 04:01:39 »
I learned alot from unPBO'ing missions I played that had features I wanted... then tweaked what was inside and looked for changes!
Learned how to do alot...still don't understand much  :D
just setpos & forgetpos!