Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Cooperation mode limitations  (Read 1662 times)

Offline jose

• Members
Cooperation mode limitations
« on: 08 May 2007, 15:23:52 »
I would like to make a tight cooperation mission in certain area and I don't want to players to cross the mission area boundaries. Do you know any good way to limit players movement on map, expect killing them with setdamage command?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: Cooperation mode limitations
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2007, 17:01:20 »
Put a trigger down with appropriate side present and fire repeatedly.

In the trigger on Activation put something like:
Code: [Select]
{_x setDamage 1} forEach thisList
thisList lists all the units(as an array) in the trigger, and forEach loops through the code in the braces applying it to each unit(element in the array).

Often it is good to put two of these beside each other to guarantee that no one slips through.

Another way of dealing with this is to have a trigger spawn a few T80s or Mi-17s that move to the trigger location and rub the player out and ruin the mission for everyone. Peer pressure can work wonders in terms of correcting deviant behaviour.

Usually it is best to also put a trigger just before your death zone that will give a warning hint.

My fav way to implement a deadman's zone is to have trigger spawn a few nades at the player's location.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 17:04:57 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2007, 18:06:06 »
Also consider designing your mission so that if the players want to do their objectives, they then are practically forced to stay on the area you wish them to stay at, if they want to be able to complete their objectives. This doesn't necessarily need death zones or the like. This would most likely mean that you would have some time-limit based event in your mission which would mean that if the players have not done something before the event, the mission becomes extremely hard or even impossible to accomplish.

Example: destroy all enemy aircrafts at airbase X before a large number of enemy reinforcements arrive. Now, if the objective is not completed before the enemy reinforcements arrive, the mission would become very, very hard, near impossible to complete.

I would try to use such design tactic instead of using artificial constraints.

In Capture The Flag (CTF) or Conquer & Hold (CH) and similar missions it is a different situation and certain zones (bases of each side) must be protected with artificial constraints.

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2007, 00:36:14 »
expect killing them with setdamage command?

You could grab their position before they leave the spawn and at the same time warn them. If they continue to walk and hit the boundry,  teleport them back to where they was.

Also you could teleport them back to spawn.