Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Empty Object  (Read 4626 times)

Offline shameless

• Members
Empty Object
« on: 02 May 2007, 17:32:47 »
Hi guys,

I have a slight problem with a mission i made a few weeks ago...

I have only just noticed why weird things are happening in this mission. My mission is a blackhawk down mission, and you have to destroy 3 UH-60's, then rescue 2 pilots. The problem is... when you destroy one of the empty UH-60's you get a minus score, then all your team mates turn on you!  :dry:

Ive tried editing the mission.sqm but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks alot  :)

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: Empty Object
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2007, 17:40:41 »
UH-60's side is "empty" in the mission.sqm?
urp!

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2007, 18:15:32 »
Yes, thats what i don't understand lol.

If we blow the UH-60 up it gives us a minus score, but the UH-60 is empty!!  :scratch:

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2007, 19:08:39 »
Sounds like bug. I thought I had a clever solution to this but it was wrong. I guess you could add an eventhandler to the chopper, so that whenever it is hit, you reset the rating of the person who hit it.
urp!

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2007, 19:14:01 »
Hmmm lol.

Any chance of posting that line?  :good:

If you have time try it yourself...

Put a empty UH-60 then a BLUEFOR squad down and make sure your the leader... Once you blow the chopper up the second in command A.I takes over as leader then they all kill you! lol

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2007, 20:48:46 »
I've found the following. Vehicles in ArmA are considered by AI friendly or enemy just based on vehicle type.

Just an example, I spawned a Camel piloted by an OPFOR pilot flying towards my group (all armed with Stinger), none reacted to it until the camel was over our heads. Then the test was repeated but using a CamelE, and it was toasted immediately. So AI consider a vehicle west or east based on type, unless any AI is close enough to determine real side (crew) or empty. IMO this is not a bug, but a realism factor.

In your case, may be the AI was not fully aware it was an empty vehicle. You may try getting close to it with your group, so everyone knows it is empty, and then destroy it.

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2007, 21:05:58 »
Thats the thing though mate lol.

We all get up close and personal with the choppers so we can place the satchel charges.

And then if we decide to turn all the A.I off, we have another problem! Once you rescue the pilots they are suppose to join your group which they do, but if your one of the people that have destroyed a chopper they wont join you, then see you as an enemy!

And there was me thinking that this was a noob question  :clap: lol

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2007, 02:14:17 »
Okay,
Here you go. What I suggested does work. Since you have posted in the MP topic, am I to understand that this is an MP mission? If so, you are probably screwed. Since the "HIT" event handler only fires on the client for which the UH60 is local, this will not work for MP since the UH60 is local to the server, but your troops are local to their commander. Just in case you have posted in MP by mistake I have attached my demo mission.

urp!

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2007, 03:08:31 »
No you are right mate  :(

Ah well... Ill just leave it as it is for now. Thanks for the help anyway guys :)

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2007, 03:21:29 »
Come come, you cant give up that easily! We have other ways!

1)Try my solution. Maybe rating propagates in MP?edit: just checked Biki. Will not work.

2)Try grouping the heli with enemy?

3)I have one last trick up my sleeve that might work if 1) and 2) do 2) does not. Let me know and I'll whip it up. Use a KILLED eventhandler to fire a script that broadcasts the person who killed. Have a local trigger set the player's rating up.

Edit: What the hell. Whipped it up anyways. Untested in MP, but will work as long as desync is not too bad.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2009, 20:51:22 by hoz »
urp!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2007, 09:14:35 »
What about revealing the choppers to all friendly forces?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2007, 15:22:40 »
Yes, lol, that would be a much simpler solution.
urp!

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2007, 15:57:41 »
Sorry guys lol, but what do you mean by revealing the choppers to friendly forces?

Edit

Ive just tested your script Mr Peanut, by the looks of it, it works in both sp and mp. I uploaded your test mission to our server and seems to work fine :) maybe i need one more member one the server just to make sure?

Although when i start the mission, in the top left i get a little box showing 2500... Is there anyway to get rid of it or even hide it?

Thanks again for your help guys :)
« Last Edit: 03 May 2007, 16:16:14 by shameless »

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2007, 17:04:37 »
That hint was to display the unit's rating. In the init field for the leader remove the code, nul = this execVM "showrating.sqf". You can also delete the file showrating.sqf.

The reveal command works as follows:
Code: [Select]
group reveal unitwhich will reveal unit to group. You could put a 50m trigger around the heli, presuming the heli must be satched. Activate trigger by side west, and in the on activation put:
myGroup reveal theHeli ; myPilotGroup reveal theHeliwhere myGroup is the name of your player's group and theHeli is whatever name you have given to the empty UH60.
To set a group name put the following in the init of every unit in your group:
myGroup = group this
Do the same for the 2 pilots, making sure they are grouped together but use another group name such as myPilotGroup
« Last Edit: 03 May 2007, 17:08:05 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2007, 22:15:24 »
Cheers mate will test asap  :good:

I found this in a dm

this addrating (+(rating this) + 100000) Btw it was - insted of + although i havnt tested this yet.

Would this not be easier? If i put this in the init on each unit?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2007, 22:24:54 »
Yes, just increasing the rating for all units would be the most simple solution, if you do not care about the missions scores being accurate.
urp!

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2007, 00:24:52 »
Tbh its more of a clan mission... So we dont need to worry about teamkillers and accurate scores :) Alsong as we play as a team and have a laugh, thats all that matters :)

EDIT!!

Omg all this messing about an all i had to do was set the rank of each player to Colonel. looool!! Tested and works

Ok maybe not lol... It works if i just blow one UH-60 up, if i blow anymore up the AI turn on me :( so i guess its back to the addrating :)
« Last Edit: 04 May 2007, 16:05:38 by shameless »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2007, 18:45:29 »
Best way would be to destroy with an action menu, so noone is awarded with the destruction of the choppers. You only need to run an script in each client activating or deactivating the action depending on the distance to the choppers.

Offline shameless

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2007, 19:42:42 »
Yup thats another way :)

Well i used the addrating and we have completed it now finally :D lol