Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Operation Distant Strike  (Read 8243 times)

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
OOPS  MY MISTAKE
it does state clearly that the target is the tower next to the lighthouse
i read it wrong ... so sorry ...  will continue playing and edit my comments above ...  :-[
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP] Operation Distant Strike - Please review
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2007, 14:26:54 »
Hi all!

I am hereby submitting my mission for review after the positive comments and the great help of my fellow beta testers!

Cheers

Mathias

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2007, 01:13:16 »
Hi all!

I just added a suitable .jpg to my archive to comply with review standards.

Greetings

Mathias

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2007, 09:24:04 »
I'll review this one too.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2007, 00:14:39 »
Thank you Cheetah!

Looking forward to it...

Greetings Mathias

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
[ArmA] Operation Distant Strike by Mathias_eichinger
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2007, 11:10:56 »
File: OperationDistantStrike.zip (116 kb)
Version: Final
Requires: Armed Assault
AuthorMathias_eichinger
Score6
TypeSP
Addons:None
Description:Weaken the SLA by disabling their hightech equipement and assassinating two officers.

Review: by Cheetah

Overview

The picture could use a border and doesn't show much of a connection with the mission content. Text is fine and gives a short introduction to the mission.

Intro

Enjoyable music is used to let you relax, the camera is a bit slow and the angles could have been better. Like the initial camera pointing at the destroyed tank, the camera is way too high. Don't like the flow of the camera, too slow and every scene has only one line of text. Feels like an editor driven cutscene.

Briefing

There is a weapon selection featuring a large collection of US weapons. The notes are of the standard diary type. A bit short, but they give you an idea of how the character thinks about his mission. Could have contained more information for the player to read.

The plan is split into two pages. One is the normal page with the objectives, there are links pointing to the markers on the map. I miss an insertion marker, would have been better to add one. On the details page quite a lot of information is available for the player, like hiding in the cellar of the fuel station at the end of the mission.

Mission

You start close to the first objective which saves you some time, but makes the mission a lot shorter and takes away the tension of passing enemy patrols. The difficulty is low, guards are easy to take care off, waypoints show you where to go and objectives are quite easy to complete.

I like the emplacement of the base and MG nests, as well as your insertion craft driving back to open sea.

Didn't like the difficulty, could have been turned up a notch, with a few more patrols and effective reinforcements and found US ammo boxes on the beach somewhat strange. The second objective lacks a lot in terms of difficulty. There is only one fireteam guarding the most expensive equipement of the SLA, not too convincing.

The best experience was going to the cellar to hide myself. On the way I encountered several patrols and a UAZ patrol which made my life hard and made sure that the LOAD option was used, it was the best part of the mission for me.

Outro

Same quality as the intro, only the outro acts as a pretty good debriefing. I like the idea, don't like the camera work.

Scripting

Not much scripting involved in this mission, some of it is done with editor scripting and the Urban Patrol Script by Kronzky is the only external script. More could have been done with scripts/triggers to improve the gameplay, in terms of difficulty and general playability.

Conclusion

The mission is enjoyable to those who like a short night mission, or some action. There is enough of it if you don't play stealthy. If you do, the enemy is easy to beat. You shouldn't play this mission for the intro and the overview picture is lacking, but the author did a good job at providing a picture with the package. Although I would have liked to see more time spend on it, to make it useable.

In short, enjoyable for lone wolfs and action fanatics - but lacks polishment, fine tuning and scripting.

Scores
Overview - 6
Briefing - 7
Scripting - 5
Camera - 4
Overall - 6/10

Details
Island: Sahrani
Side: US
Time of day: Night
Weather: Clear
Intro: Yes
Outro: Yes
Special: Urban Patrol Script
3rd party addons: No

The beta thread can be seen here
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2007, 11:12:21 »
Review completed.

After-review discussion is opened!
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 11:56:00 by Cheetah »

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [ArmA] Operation Distant Strike by Mathias_eichinger
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2007, 00:33:33 »
Hi there!

It hast brought to my attention that my mission is broken in 1.08. :(
When you download it and try it, it will work, but will crash your ArmA once you quit the game.
I just downloaded it and re-saved it under 1.08, but now it crashes instantly?
Does anyone have a solution to this?

Cheers

Mathias

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2007, 01:33:02 »
Hmm. First thing that comes to my mind is a broken savegame.

However, someone sent me a PM telling me that the mission was broken. Tried it and didn't find any errors (first few minutes) so PMed him back for details. Forgot who it was though..

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2007, 02:28:31 »
Hi Cheetah

Should have been Gizzy, reported that it would crash the game upon quitting it. But I just de-pboed it, exported it to single missions and now I have that problem right from the start. Now the interesting thing is that I deleted the mission from my SP missions folder, to make room for my new export (tried it first as well), yet when I run the newly exported version first, I was still able to "continue" or "restart". How can I continue a mission I just deleted?

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2007, 02:46:15 »
How can I continue a mission I just deleted?

The savegame files are stored seperately... as long as the mission is there, it doesn't know if it's new or the same old one, just that there is a savegame attached. :)

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2007, 15:10:53 »
Sooo...does this mean that there is nothing to do about the broken mission?  ???
Or does anyone have an idea about it?

Cheers

Mathias

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2007, 16:26:31 »
Have you tried erasing the savegame folder for it? Can't think off the top of my head the exact location (I'm at work,) but it's in the my documents folder, like the mission is when you edit it, and instead of missions go the "saved games" or something route.

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2007, 21:32:57 »
Hi firecontrol! Many thanks for your insight, did not know there are two kinds of savegames: "Saved" and "User Saved". Problem solved and mission is due to re-upload at the MD

Thanks, Mathias