Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Arma and dedicated server  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Walker

• Members
Arma and dedicated server
« on: 12 Mar 2007, 02:42:47 »
Hello mapmakers!
Some may have noticed that things may be quite confusing when making mission in arma, specially when making mp missions. I will now describe an example of strange behavior (strange = diffrent from ofp). I have quite many missions behind me in ofp, for both sp and mp, aswell as running scripts on dedicated server,so this should be an easy task for me, but apparently not when running arma.

Okay, this is what wanted: A transport chopper with playergroup in cargo, landing att dropzone, letting player out, and then returning back to base.
Sounds quite easy would any experienced, missionmaker say. This is a beginners problem,or?

Okay to keep it simple, this is what i did:
1. I made a chopper and a player squad, allready cargo in the chopper (moveincargo).
2. I made a transport unload wp for the chopper at dropzon, and a getout wp for the group, and then sycronized thease. Then some move wp:s to let the chopper return and squad continue on foot.
3. To make the chopper land, put following into activation field: heli land "land". And an 'empty H' at landing point.

Voila everything works perfectly. The chopper lands and waits until everybody is out and then return to base, exatly as i intended.
Trying it out in multiplayer, hosting, and some people joined my room. We played and everything worked superb. Now when it was tested and it worked i uploaded it to our dedicated server. And now guess what, the chopper did approach landing zone as usual, but it never landed. It just hovers right over the landingpoint without letting the group out!!?

Well i did not give up there. I tryed someother sollution think that i am smart:
Making the chopper land by using 'heli flyinheight 1' and unload wp. This apparently worked similary as the example before.
A total scripted landing manouver whit flyinheight and continue at condition: '{_x in heli} count group player'. Forget it, it worked in the editor but not when hosting.

In ofp things where quite simple becouse every trigger and every waypoint was syncronized with the server. You wouldn't get any problems like this unless you used scripts that my coused problem if they where run on every client. In arma things seems to work diffrent.

Okay here are the questions.
Have you experienced similar problems, considering mp or dedicated server?
What is wrong, what do i not understand, considering arma and dedicated server?
How does it differ from ofp?
Or could this maybe be a possible bug that needs to be reported?
And last but not least, how can i get my chopper land?

Thank you!

Offline satexas69

• Members
Re: Arma and dedicated server
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2007, 18:46:58 »
I've seen everything you've inquired about here on the forums and at the forums at flashpoint1985.com.

I'd politely suggest that you look around in the "scripting and editing" sections of both sites.

Basically, you just need to "read more"  :D

Offline Walker

• Members
Re: Arma and dedicated server
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2007, 20:16:35 »
I finally found out how solve the problem. Instead of using the condition and on activation fileds of waypoints and trigger i made an external script for manouvering the chopper. I think there is som kind of bug, becouese using the waypoint and  trigger fields may cause problems, when runnig on dedicated server. Due to my experience recommend mapmakers to use external scripts instead when running mp. To launch a script is quite simple and better to use even if could be easier done with sycronized wp:s and triggers.
 Understanding locality on the dedicated server is a whole other story, and knowledge about that is neccesery befor scripting in MP. More on that here:
http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Locality_in_Multiplayer