Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: a-bomb  (Read 3600 times)

recon

a-bomb
« on: 23 Oct 2002, 07:20:59 »
This is a warmed over subject in flashpoint, but if someone could design an atom bomb that could have a timer that you could set, and a remote trigger it could be transported and detonated and you lesure, would be nice!  
                         (recon)          

nfshotrods

Re:a-bomb
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2002, 11:59:00 »
wasn't ther already an addon the simulated an explosion of an a-bomb?

If thats so it's only a matter of scripting....  
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2002, 12:00:08 by nfshotrods »

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2002, 21:19:57 »
I'd like to see someone make a nuclear back-pack bomb, or Special Atomic Demolition Device (SADM) which utilizes a scripted detonation effect. The bomb should be black or green, backpack shaped, and about a square meter in size. The SADM can be slung on the players shoulders, like a LAW, for instance, and would take up the secondary weapon slot.
It should be made to function like a satchel charge, with a normal explosive effect equal to say a 1000 pound LGB. This explosive effect is just the conventional chemical explosive trigger as in a real device. It's more realistic this way as you could simulate a "Broken Arrow" event, ( This is the code used by those of us in the business to report a nuclear weapon malfunction ) or a dirty-bomb terrorist event.
For realistic nuclear detonation a script would be used in conjuntion with the detonation of the "satchel charge" explosion.
Even if the nuke wasn't detonated in the game, it would at least provide mission makers the ability to create interesting nuclear scenarios.
I guess we'd need NEST (Nuclear Emergency Search Team) operatives as an addon to make it that much more realistic.
Any takers?

Buzz

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2002, 23:37:29 »
to make it even more realistic, someone should make an addon of planes with the capabilitys to carry a nuclear weapon. And further more, the bomb would be even more realistic if it were possible to set the explosion to happen at a certain altitude say 300ft, i know that is not realistic compared to a real one but the explosion for it to be absolutley realistic would most likley crash anyones game. And most planes cant fly that high easily. So many things would have to be toned down, including the size, although a bomb the size of a briefcase could probaly take out most of the towns in operation flashoint.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2002, 00:43:42 »
Actually 300ft altitude airburst is low altitude for most fighter/bomber delivered weapons. Generally a nuke bomb is much more effective if detonated a thousand feet or so above the target, and this has been the intended means of delivery for about the last fifty years. The back-pack nukes were different of course, and were meant to destroy a target at point-blank range, with a relatively small yield. By varying the amount of plutonium, the weapon could theoretically generate yields from 250 kiloton "airbase busters", to sub-kiloton weapons which could be used to destroy a single large building, ( and surrounding city block ) or bridge. The "triple threat" effects ( Blast/overpressure, exo-thermal heat, ionizing radiation ) is still present, just much more localized in the case of a lesser amount of plutonium, and close proximity to target.

imemyself

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2002, 04:28:15 »
YOu could also have nuclear artillery.  Accuracy wouldn't be that important.  A Davy Crockett-a very small nuclear warhead that could be shot off of a recoiless rifle would be awesome.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2002, 07:58:00 »
Hahaha, I'd forgotten that little monstrocity. A rocket-propelled nuclear mortor bomb. It's blast radious of 3000m was greater than the weapons maximum range, which was like 1500m. This was a sub-kiloton warhead posessing a yield of somthing like 0.25 kiloton. As I understand it, due to the low yield warhead and low-altitude detonation, the operators could be protected from the the heat and blast by getting as close to the ground as possible, or a simple foxhole. The weapon operators, which fired the bomb from a jeep mounted recoiless rifle, sucessfully tested the device in the fifties... with little or no loss of life?
BTW, accuracy is always important.

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2002, 10:42:41 »
previously ofpec had a crewmember named Charon. He made a nuke, wich was bragged a lot about. Wast released, however :( even tho i got it, I'm sorry to say that I will never be able to use it or give you all it, as Charon does not wish to release the beta.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2002, 22:15:53 »
Hmmm then I suppose it's not much use to us then... I'm only describing a remodeled satchel charge or LAW, with a greatly imcreased explosive.
The "nuclear detonation" could only be achieved through scripting, as far as I know... There is a mission I have that has a fantastic nuclear explosion effect, complete with mushroom cloud.
All in all it shouldn't be that hard to model.

JFK

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2002, 23:07:25 »
some body released at atom bomb cloud (no bomb) over it ofp.info, but it was a long time ago

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2002, 01:56:50 »
The SS-4 Silo Complex by Vikingo uses the nuke script done by Charon and Abuu. I've just seen it, and it's an extremely well done effect and is on a par with any simulated nuke explosion I've yet seen. I can't understand why Charon doesn't want it distributed, it's a great script! Can someone tell me how to contact him?

O Neil

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2002, 06:18:24 »
Yea, so is anyone like......going to actually make this bomb? ?????

recon

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2002, 10:56:16 »
I just had an idea, couldent you just change the script size of the satchel charge explosion, and in turn the mushroom cloud after the explosion would be huge also.?
                     (recon)

Offline Jonno

• Former Staff
  • (retired)
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2002, 11:58:44 »
Well we were using the Nuke in the OFPEC Campaign (which we have now canned), but then straight after we used it Charon had it taken down, as he never gave permission for it to go out, supposedly one of his Beta tester submitted it without his consent. So I emailed him and got his permission to use it, aswell as more recently emailing him to try and have him release it to OFPEC after Tigershark was getting multiple emails asking about it, after people had seen it up on the site, with a note: about its withrawal, I believe. Unfortunately I never heard back from him, I would give you his Email addy but I fear he would then get a surge of emails he doesnt really want.
Its a shame to see such work go to waste.  :P
7 P's, Proper Planning And Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2002, 01:16:00 »
Thanks, Jonno, for replying to my post.
There are quite a few other people who also have this script, of course. I downloaded it in the mission I mentioned in the above post, which- if I'm not mistaken - was released a fairly long time after the fiasco involving Charon and the OFPEC forums. I've not distributed it to anyone else, I'm not a scripter or mission publisher, or even a modder. But I am beginning to tinker, and may start doing some of the above activities.
The point is I may just re-write the script or create one based on Charon's work... That's not to say I don't appreciate his effort, or wouldn't give him credit for inspiring me to do something for the community...
But I'd prefer not to. I mean it all seems fairly petty, and selfish... Theres a great script here and it's just going to waste, because of someones overinflated ego.
Well, I'm sorry for ranting, but I just had to get that off my chest.