Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How to make AI fire over obstacles?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
How to make AI fire over obstacles?
« on: 03 Mar 2007, 23:25:44 »
Hi,

I did some tests in the editor to see how AI is able to fire over sandbags and such.
They can't  :(  In fact, I've seen AI crouching behind sandbags in the campaign missions. it's just "eyecandy" it doesn't work that way.

In OFP you'll needed some fancy ROE changes to make a unit crouch permanently. However in Arma, things should be a lot easier because setunitpos works again and this time there's a "middle" option to make them crouch! Thank god, I was waiting f5 years for this option. Works great.
Thing is, they simply refuse to fire over the sandbags. In OFP, same thing happened but there was a solution. You had to setdammage 1 the sandbag and AI was able to fire over it. It's not an option in Arma because object simply dissappear when destroyed.
I also tried to setpos them deeper into the ground and that works a bit, but AI only fires upon the enemy when realy close. (about 30m). I had better results in OFP.

So my question stays, how can I make AI fire over sandbags?
There are a lot of usefull commands in Arma for the future like setunitpos, nearestobjects, findcover, weapondirection, enableAI, etc ... but as long as can't make them fire over it, I can't do anything.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2007, 10:04:47 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline SaBrE

• Members
  • I was once a Llama
    • www.Armed-Assault-Zone.com
Re: How to make AI fire over obstacles?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2007, 13:37:10 »
I'll need this in the future some time so I'd also like to see some suggestions :) Maybe a very small addon which adds sandbags that don't disappear when destroyed- it could be a couple of kilobytes probably, so won't annoy people if they want missions without addons in.
Can you HELP?

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2007, 14:11:15 »
Yeah, that would be great but we don't know yet that destroying the sandbags will solve this problem.
I've found a few rocks in the desert that work, but that's all atm.
I don't know anything about addonmaking or configs, so it would be great if someone could make such an addon.

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2007, 17:00:07 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2007, 16:08:58 »
Might be worth trying SetDammage 0.9  - my dim recollection is that sandbags had to be damaged in OFP, not destroyed, to get AI to use them.

Offline SaBrE

• Members
  • I was once a Llama
    • www.Armed-Assault-Zone.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2007, 17:41:30 »
I just had a go at that and unfortunately it doesn't work :/

I did do THIS, however.

It looks pretty bad: I had to setpos 3 fences 33, 34 and 35 metres up then setdamage 1 them. This made them drop 30 or so metres to the floor after exploding  >:( When they are on the ground as shown in picture, they are all squashed (hence I used 3) but the AI can fire over them. Why have them squash down in such a silly way if no one's going to see it since they sink? Silly bug.

If you don't mind it looking that awful, then do what I did :/
Can you HELP?