Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Video competitions? - Not .pbo but actual video.  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Brandon

• Members
Video competitions? - Not .pbo but actual video.
« on: 23 Sep 2006, 05:47:04 »
Has OFPEC ever hosted or will host any sort of a video contest? Instead of a PBO, perhaps a avi on youtube? I'd like to take part in that.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2006, 13:03:53 by Brandon »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: Video competitions?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2006, 10:06:41 »
OFPEC, hosted the Christmas Cutscene Competition, link.
Can't find the movies though, they are probably dead now after the Great Crash 2.

But, why do you want vids in avi, pbo not good enough? Isn't it a good way to start, you can make great movies in OFPs editor.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2006, 19:49:24 by Planck »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2006, 11:11:18 »
Indeed the Christmas Cutscene Competition were all in video format for the ease of viewing. It's quite easy to record a avi from the game with a bit of thought and software.

Wether the cutscene/movie is in pbo or avi/mpg/wmv/whatnot shouldn't make any difference for the author in the submission phase - in fact it's even less work for the author to submit it as pbo.. and since we're not looking for any fancy video effect tricks, just the ones you can do in OFP, pbo saves time, effort, bandwidth, ect. ect. :)

It could very well be that this ArmA themed TrackIR contest submissions, or best of them, will be handed out to the big public in video format after been reviewed by the judges. But I'm not saying yes or no to it, just a maybe. In any case I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this type, or competitions generally, in the future.

Not all is lost.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2006, 13:29:14 »
 i must admit i would rather take part in a video comp than .pbo comp. sometimes the video is better on the pc it was designed on. i.e a low level machine may struggle with some of the techniques used in said video.
 altho i do realise having said that, a pbo comp does make a more level playing field ,that is it is not how good a videomaker you are but how good of a camera.sqs scripter you are.
 just my 2 cents hopefully you can persuade track ir for another prize and host 2 ,lol
I love ofp

Offline Brandon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2006, 13:03:14 »
I mean .avi (youtube) and the like... I know NOTHING about camera scripting. However I do make ofp movies with a camera tool and maybe a simple trigger here or there. Some example:

My last video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wzifToKFNmo (8 Minutes)

Or QUICK example (1min 50secs)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MXd2b_sIqlI

A video like that.. something that many people would enjoy doing. Im not a good camera.sqs'r and I dont understand much about .pbo's... A video competition.. not a .pbo camera .sqs scripting competition.

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
Re: Video competitions? - Not .pbo but actual video.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2006, 17:31:05 »
Videos have the advantage of, quite obviously, going exactly how you want them to every time, while an ofp cutscene always has small variations everytime you view them. But, a video competition would make be very unfair to people with lower spec machines, as the ones with top of the range computers will be able to fill their cutscene with hundreds of effects, while the guy running on a lowly 800mhz will be very limited in what they can do, even more so when they have fraps running.

PBO is just more fair :)

Offline Brandon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2006, 00:13:50 »
Likewise, if I don't know anything about camera scripting.. and reading up on the last 5 years of camera scripting isn't something people have the time for... whats the difference?

Also, you run 60 men on 60 men with a .pbo... opposed to filming it with .avi... whats the difference? You don't need to make a gigantic video.. perhaps a soldier out to snipe another soldier.. there isn't an unfair advantage i dont think.. everyone has ether imovie or windows movie maker, there are video capturing programs out there for free, and there's video hosting sites..

If the story is good, the movie is good. You don't need 120 .. RT130 jet's flying around to make a good video. Thats like pulp fiction and the day after tomarrow.. ether a good story or a lot of intense action that takes more cpu power... there's alternatives..

I think its a great idea.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2006, 00:33:16 »
It's not fair to run a competition with these two types, one = fine, but not both in one competition. There's a too big difference between the two types. But I think that more competitions will follow, later :). Maybe including your favorite type.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2006, 00:51:20 »
The Christmas Cutscene Competition was a success, and if this is a success to then it is highly likely that we will do more competitions in the future.    Not necessarily cutscenes of course.     We might well do video, but remember that OFPEC exists to promote excellence in OFP editing and any competition that we hold is going to reflect that.    If we did have a video competition, the extra marks you'd get for having lots of fancy video effects would probably be negligable.

I believe that answers the question.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2006, 09:02:57 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2006, 17:00:54 »
Ummm..

The original question has been answered several times so I don't see why this discussion should even continue..
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Brandon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2006, 20:30:18 »
Perhaps another thread then?

I dont see how that's possible with no proper area to type it in lol. It's like I'll have to take my business else where.. I believe an off-topic/videography/filmography area would suit nicely. Increase the traffic $$$ :) :P

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2006, 21:02:11 »
Increasing traffic means -$$$  :( for the people who are paying, certainly not $$$  :)
Of course, after we set up all the flashing sponsor adds and popups and trace cookies and email collectors everywhere, then we'll be increasing our traffic with any competition basically.

;)

Seriously though. It's not about traffic nor money as much as it's about other resources (read manpower) to deal with a competition. It's a lot of work you know. Even being as off-topic as it is from the site's focus, I can see a video competition happening at some point. But there won't be any "off-topic/videography/filmography area" that's for sure.
Not all is lost.

Offline Brandon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2006, 01:10:25 »
Ah, thanks for correcting me. I'll just use BIS's OT threads then. :D Ever a chance of an "OFP: General"discussion?  Or is that too closely related to OT and thus brings the unwanted immature responces?

I was under the impression you have 1 small banner on the bottom. You pitch it to advertisers, say look: we have this many people coming to our site everyday.. you give them a price, they give you the banner. The more traffic, the more $$$ you would charge the advertiser.. I was wrong  :-[

My question was answered, I'll shut up now  :cool2:

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2006, 09:37:53 »
My question was answered, I'll shut up now
:good:

And for safe keeping:

#Locked
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.